Fee taken from buyer's payment?

SpikyTurnips
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I recently sold an item on ebay and just received the payment but a non-specific fee was taken? The ebay listing was a free listing. I understand that paypal may have taken a fee but I haven't been able to find how the fee is calculated as it seemed a little high (£4.52 on a £127 payment).

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ebay Fees.

It may be free to list but you still pay a final value fee when the item sells. This is in your eBay account and is billed monthly. 

PayPal Fees.

This is 3.4% + 20p per ttransaction and is taken directly from your buyers payment when they pay with the remaining amount credited to your PayPal balance. 

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ebay Fees.

It may be free to list but you still pay a final value fee when the item sells. This is in your eBay account and is billed monthly. 

PayPal Fees.

This is 3.4% + 20p per ttransaction and is taken directly from your buyers payment when they pay with the remaining amount credited to your PayPal balance. 

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SpikyTurnips
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for the help, I shall have to look into it a little more 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Your welcome. 

Theres info on fees bottom of both eBay and PayPal pages.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Vei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had to return an item that I had purchased on Amazon and had a refund on that. A few days later the buyer refunded postage costs as well but ''refund'' wasn't specified in refrence. So Paypal directly charged me a fee on payment that a refund to cover my return costs. Is there any terms in Paypal's Policy regarding this type of payments?

And also can anyone tell why there is no live chat or any decent customer service on Paypal's website??? This is so annoying as we are all being charged all the time for transactions and when you need some help there is only the Resolution centre... This is really frustrating and seriously starting to loose faith in Paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

And also can anyone tell why there is no live chat or any decent customer service on Paypal's website???

If you scroll down to the bottom of any paypal page and click on "Contact Us" you can phone or email paypal customer services.

You can also use this forum OR Twitter OR Facebook to contact customer services.

A few days later the buyer refunded postage costs as well but ''refund'' wasn't specified in refrence.

A seller can only use the refund option to refund your original payment made to them. If they want to also refund your return shipping costs then they need to use the send money option. If they use the friends / family ie gift option you would not have been charged, they must have used the send money > goods option so you were.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Vei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your advice, I will keep that in mind if postage costs need to be refunded.

Much appreciated!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.