FRAUD!!!!

tg1803
Contributor
Contributor

The PayPal Team

I was contacted by a buyer on a 300 punds worth camera. He emailed me offering 360 pounds for the camera plus posting service to send it to Nigeria. Afterwards the same address from paypal (only with the sign for registered mark after it, which I did not notice until after I sent the camera) sent me an email confirming the pament has been made to my account and the money will be released once I ship the order. My paypal account showed 360 pounds "pending" in my account. I sent the camera and now I haven't just lost 300 pounds but also payed for the shipment of my camera. What should I do? I am calling the police today and telling them also. As long as the sum was "pending" in my account paypal must have had something to do with it, right?!

This is a copy of the email I received from the "false paypal address". I want t point out that it had their layout, heading and hyperlinks to the site.

Dear PayPal User,

This is a reminder to inform you that we have not yet received the Shipment Reference
  Number of the item, you are advised to proceed with the shipment of the item to the buyer and send the Shipment Reference Number to us for verification and to effect immediate release of your funds to your account.

The buyer (Andy Prince) wants it sent immediately, it has also been confirmed by  PayPal and is as stated below:

Nigeria, Ogun State, Abeokuta
zipcode: 234039
address: N0 30 Oke Sokori
name: Bose Lawal

BUYER'S SHIPPING OPTION IS AS STATED BELOW :
 http://www.royalmail.com/images/royalmail/paarch/pa_rmlogo.gif ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY SIGNED FOR.

YOU SHOULD USE THE ABOVE  COURIER  FOR THE SHIPMENT 
  ============================ =======================

***ATTENTION*** 
     The order has been CONFIRMED AND APPROVED,So you can now proceed with the shipment of the item to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 3 hours AFTER receiving this shipment reminder and get back to our Customer/Technical Dept. with the Postage Evidence for Verification. 

The Shipment Reference Number  should be mailed to our customer care department for Verification so that your account can be credited immediately. 

We embark on this measure in order to protect both parties involved in this transaction and to reduce the occurrence of Scams and Frauds within 
PayPal Community, Feel free to contact the PayPal Seller Verification department at @@@@@ for more inquiry.

------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------
 Thank you for using PayPal® We look forward serving your online auction payment better in future. 
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------

Thank you for using PayPal®
Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

Jubster83
VERY INTERESTING TO SEE THIS PEPPLE STREET MUST BE A VERY BUSY STREET AS I HD ALL THE FAKE PAYPAL EMAILS I WAS LURED IN BY A OLUREMI OLAWALE 10 PEPPLE STREET ( 2 DOOR AWAY) IKEJA LAGOS STATE 23401 NIGERIA I after reading this post after Google the address it must be like a street hotspot for fraudster if you been wise enough to Google it and you come across this street please keep away from obviously a very treturucis post code, the post man must be surely a well paid job what ever you do do not post to anyone on the street very interesting that i found what looks like to be the next door neighbour surely organised crime on pepple street if anyone else comes across this street please log on to this part of the world obviously the humans living here are vomit of society.
Login to Me Too

Jubster83
VERY INTERESTING TO SEE THIS PEPPLE STREET MUST BE A VERY BUSY STREET AS I HD ALL THE FAKE PAYPAL EMAILS I WAS LURED IN BY A OLUREMI OLAWALE 10 PEPPLE STREET ( 2 DOOR AWAY) IKEJA LAGOS STATE 23401 NIGERIA I after reading this post after Google the address it must be like a street hotspot for fraudster if you been wise enough to Google it and you come across this street please keep away from obviously a very treturucis post code, the post man must be surely a well paid job what ever you do do not post to anyone on the street very interesting that i found what looks like to be the next door neighbour surely organised crime on pepple street if anyone else comes across this street please log on to this part of the world obviously the humans living here are vomit of society.
Login to Me Too

vlad-ruler
Contributor
Contributor

Here's another one!! I must say, it's not the best first experience selling on eBay. However, i'm having great fun going along with this e-mail lol 

Hello Mate,
    Sorry for the late responds,It is my pleasure to inform you that I have carried out the payment via PayPal and have add you the sum of £100 for the postage cost and i also have the payment receipt as a prove,I want the item to be  sent to my Cousin for his Birthday Gift,I would have asked you to post it to my eBay address in United State,but i don't know it will be urgent for me to be on a business trip, I've gone for a business trip, here is the delivery address below,I'm very sorry for the inconvenience i might have cause you I want you to ship the item today via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR so that the item will get there as soon as possible, Please wrap the item carefully, write GIFT on the paper. Please use only ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR.

DIMEJI DAVID
20,ODUDUWA STREET
GRA,IKEJA.
LAGOS STATE
NIGERIA

Am really sorry for the inconvenience i might have caused you.....

Best Regards.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Do not play about with them.

They have been known to get their own back by adding your email addy to lots of unsavoury sites.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lawrence2

This guy tried it on me today, for an iphone

having a good laugh from it actually

Hello Mate,
    Sorry for the late responds,It is my pleasure to inform you that I have carried out the payment via PayPal and have add you the sum of £40 for the postage cost and i also have the payment receipt as a prove,I want it sent to my Cousin for her Birthday Gift,I would have asked you to post it to my eBay address in United State,but i don't know it will be urgent for me to be on a business trip, I've gone for a business trip, here is the delivery address below,I'm very sorry for the inconvenience i might have cause you I want you to ship the item today via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR so that the item will get there as soon as possible, Please wrap the item carefully, write GIFT on the paper. Please use only ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR.

JOHN ADEBAYO
17,ODUDUWA STREET
GRA,IKEJA.
LAGOS STATE
NIGERIA

Am really sorry for the inconvenient i might have caused you.....

Best Regards.

Login to Me Too

boeck42

Selleragreed to rent a timeshare and I paid for it. seller couldn't make arrangements and has failed to address refund issue. of course, seller is a verified paypal seller which means absolutely nothing and really accomplishes nothing except providing buyer with a paypal sanctioned false sense of security. additionally, paypals representations regarding safety and security are false. once you get into fine print which generally going to happen only after a dispute has been denied does one realize that that paypal has more ways around reimbursement for fraudulent transactions than protections from them.More importantly, I can't seem to find simple way to provide warning to others who may deal with seller as identity is bleeped whenever I try.

Login to Me Too

RhonetteB
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me just this week...I sent a PSP to Nigeria and he offered me MORE than what I was askingI feel soooo stupid!!!! These people need to be stopped!!...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nigeria = scam. Folks in Nigeria can't use paypal.

Any email starting Dear User/Member etc and not your proper name is a scam.

Any email saying payment won't be made until you provide a tracking number is a scam.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

davepotter
New Community Member

Hi, 

After reading these threads I thought it be best to put my experience on here for all to see, I'm selling a car on eBay I received an email asking if it was still for sale I replied that it was I then got an email asking the price I wanted for it and wether it was in good condition to which I replied the cost and the condition it was the next email that got me suspicious they then replied that they would pay amount I wanted but wouldn't be able to look at it as they work abroad but they said they would send an extra £250 on top of what I wanted for car so I could pay a shipping agent through western union I then received 3emails allegedly from paypal saying the amount had been paid, nothing had been sent to my account I ignored the emails as its obviously a fraud con job. This afternoon I received an email saying the police were getting involved as I had defrauded them and stole the money from them. I sent a rather harsh email back to them knowing I've done nothing wrong they are from Nigeria and the email name is Mary George just be careful and don't send any money to these rather hypocritical fraudsters 

Login to Me Too

JungWon
New Community Member

I recently listed my MacBook Pro for sale on Craigslist for $900. Someone named George Blake wanted to buy it using Paypal transfer and also willing to cover for shipping as well. Then I got a strange Paypal email that reads:

George Blake has sent you an Auction Payment with PayPal ™

Buyer
George  Blake

Name : Stephen Olatunde
Address:No20,Oba adesida Road
 City: Akure
State:Ondo State
Post Code: 23434

Then another weird one

We are contacting you regarding the item payment transaction between
you and our valued client (George Blake) for a recent bought item Goods
#:you have to send the valid shipment tracking number to PayPal. This
transaction is not fraudulent and you are assured of quality service. We
encourage you to ship the item immediately as your payment has been
confirmed by us. Security is of critical important at PayPal. As soon as
we receive the valid reference number address which was on the receipt
and confirm the shipping tracking number. You account would be credited
immediately. We need the VALID shipping reference tracking number from
you to our customer care  to complete this
transaction.

The money has now been deducted from the buyer's account
 and is ready to be deposited into your account. It
will be credited into your PayPal account as
soon as we receive the shipping reference tracking number from you.

This is due to new policies at PayPal to protect the both buyer and
seller in the face of the growing number of fraudulent activities
perpetrated via the internet. You are encouraged to complete this
transaction and reflex to this action to enable us to credit your
account with immediate effect.

Here at PayPal you can be assured that your security and safety is our
topmost concern.

Thanks you for using PayPal  the PayPal Team

I did not ship the item and I forwarded both emails to Paypal to verify that this was a scam. Now this person is bugging me about "ripping him off". I hope the community here can help me out of this.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.