FRAUD!!!!

tg1803
Contributor
Contributor

The PayPal Team

I was contacted by a buyer on a 300 punds worth camera. He emailed me offering 360 pounds for the camera plus posting service to send it to Nigeria. Afterwards the same address from paypal (only with the sign for registered mark after it, which I did not notice until after I sent the camera) sent me an email confirming the pament has been made to my account and the money will be released once I ship the order. My paypal account showed 360 pounds "pending" in my account. I sent the camera and now I haven't just lost 300 pounds but also payed for the shipment of my camera. What should I do? I am calling the police today and telling them also. As long as the sum was "pending" in my account paypal must have had something to do with it, right?!

This is a copy of the email I received from the "false paypal address". I want t point out that it had their layout, heading and hyperlinks to the site.

Dear PayPal User,

This is a reminder to inform you that we have not yet received the Shipment Reference
  Number of the item, you are advised to proceed with the shipment of the item to the buyer and send the Shipment Reference Number to us for verification and to effect immediate release of your funds to your account.

The buyer (Andy Prince) wants it sent immediately, it has also been confirmed by  PayPal and is as stated below:

Nigeria, Ogun State, Abeokuta
zipcode: 234039
address: N0 30 Oke Sokori
name: Bose Lawal

BUYER'S SHIPPING OPTION IS AS STATED BELOW :
 http://www.royalmail.com/images/royalmail/paarch/pa_rmlogo.gif ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY SIGNED FOR.

YOU SHOULD USE THE ABOVE  COURIER  FOR THE SHIPMENT 
  ============================ =======================

***ATTENTION*** 
     The order has been CONFIRMED AND APPROVED,So you can now proceed with the shipment of the item to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 3 hours AFTER receiving this shipment reminder and get back to our Customer/Technical Dept. with the Postage Evidence for Verification. 

The Shipment Reference Number  should be mailed to our customer care department for Verification so that your account can be credited immediately. 

We embark on this measure in order to protect both parties involved in this transaction and to reduce the occurrence of Scams and Frauds within 
PayPal Community, Feel free to contact the PayPal Seller Verification department at @@@@@ for more inquiry.

------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------
 Thank you for using PayPal® We look forward serving your online auction payment better in future. 
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------

Thank you for using PayPal®
Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

p7390
Contributor
Contributor

I have just been reading about you sending your camera off to Nigeria and not receiving the payment. the same thing has happened to me. I was selling an ipod on ebay buy it now for £50 or for people to bid on it and someone called Nicolas Bennard bought it for £50 he did'nt put the payment into my paypal account so i emailed him asking if he still wanted it and he said yes he sent me and email saying this:

Hello,
         It is my pleasure to inform you that I have carried out the payment of £90.00 via PayPal. I want it  to be sent to my cousin AS A birthday gift. I would have asked you to post it to my eBay address in United Kingdom, but I've gone for a business trip to Brazil,here is the delivery address. netbook acer espires one

NICOLAS DAVID
17 Oduduwa street
GRA Ikeja,
Lagos State
Nigeria.

Then after that i got and email saying payment has been approved please send us prove of payment. It said i had to send the item off and then send paypal the tracking number to prove that the item was on it's way then they would transfer the money into my paypal account so i sent off the item and sent the tracking number to paypal and the money still did'nt go in so i emailed the person 'nicolas bennard' and told him i had sent the item off and the money still wasnt in and i got an email back saying

hello thanks have you send the tracking number to paypal if so you have to be patient but for your security purpose do not send the tracking number to me on till paypal credit your account and paypal will send the tracking number to me thanks.

so i then emailed back saying no i want it in my account now i will report you and i hav'nt herd anything back from him since then.

i want something done about this aswell it sould'nt be aloud all the paypal emails he sent me had paypal head lines aswell it looked like paypal accounts.

Login to Me Too

tg1803
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same thing happend to me. I did not only lose a 300 pounds worth camera but I also paid 30 pounds to have it delivered to them. The next day I receive a mail from paypal that they overcharged his account and I need to send 630 pounds through Western Union blabla to receive the full sum of 1000 that was taken from his account. I confronted the guy about it told him that i'm on to the whole scheme and demanded the money for the camera to be put in my account and I received this: "you are stupid,you have already ship the item and it's will be deliver tomorrow morning,so if you refuse to send the money and have the whole 1000punds with paypal...That's your own,but the item will be deliver tomorrow morning...Thanks...and you lose your money for the postage likewise the item...hahahahaha" SERIOUSLY?!?!SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?!  They are so cocky because they have been doing it for the last 2 years and absolutely nothing is being done to stop them. It's just outrageous.

Login to Me Too

p7390
Contributor
Contributor

yes thats what happened to me aswell they told me i had to pay an other £250 to west union. no way was i doing that its a scam i have emailed paypal and they have said they cant do anything about it because there has'nt been any payments made to my paypal account and i have emailed ebay and they have stopped the persom from using ebay but i have still lost out on all the money and lost my item. i am going to ring the post office tomorrow and ask if i can get my item as i only sent it off on monday. this is a total scam it should be stopped there doing it to other people and no one is doing anything about it.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in replying but I thought it best to reply so others get to see the answer. Hopefully it may help them as well as yourself.

From looking over your posts I’m afraid you have all been victims of a well know scam. As no payment has ever gone through PayPal for the goods you all sold there is very little we can do to cover you.

On genuine payments you would not have to post the goods or provide online tracking number in order to gain your funds. If it is a genuine payment then it will complete without you having to do anything.

I also noticed from one of the emails above that it addressed ‘Dear PayPal User’, this should be your first warning signing going forward that the email is not from us. We have to address our emails to the name on the account.

Wayne

Login to Me Too

Albi
New Community Member

I'm selling a car on Autotrader and have received a suspicious enquiry.  It asks for my Paypal e-mail, name and phone number.  Is this a scam or am I being paranoid?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey Albi,

For anyone to make a payment to you using PayPal they would need your email address. If you do receive an email saying it’s from PayPal and you have received a payment, always go into your account directly and check there. If you don’t see any transaction then it hasn’t been sent, even if we hold the funds you will see the transaction in your History.

Login to Me Too

stockcontroller
New Community Member

They tried the same thing on me but I was suspicious as soon as the 'cousin's birthday' thing was tried and the american address suddenly became one in Nigeria. I did not send the goods and Ebay has struck the buyer off. Incidentally the address was the same :

17 Oduduwa street
GRA Ikeja,
Lagos State
Nigeria
but the name was John Adebayo.
Please be careful everyone. This scum are hacking into EVERYTHING, they have no respect for anything.
Login to Me Too

itszakdada
New Community Member

I got an email SaYING THAt pAYMENT HAD BEEN MAD E BUT i WENT ON Paypal and found out my account balance was 0.00 the guys address was 

Dimeji David
20,Oduduwa str
Gra Ikeja,
Lagos,
Nigeria
same as a lot of people. Luckil I am not stupid enough to believe in this bull.
Login to Me Too

TCL
New Community Member

Same here. A customer called Johnson, he said it's his nephew's birthday and need this sneaker as soon as possible. I received a fake confirmation payment email from ebay and Paypal, but when I check my Paypal account, the money didn't come through. In the fake confirmation payment emails, suddenly change the American address to the one in Nigeria, with a similar address as everyone in here.

Name: Bamidele Moses.

Address: 12 Pepple Street,

Gra Ikeja.

Lagos State

Nigeria

So, please be careful everyone!!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.