FRAUD SCAM FAKE PAYPAL INVOICE - NIGERIA - iPhone 5s 32GB with Flappy Bird - On Sale

ankit43
New Community Member

So I have listed my phone on sale on Craigslist for $2000.00 - today I got excited when I got a text message asking if I still had the iPhone 5s 32GB with Flappy Bird installed still on sale. - I said "Yes" it is to some random Cali # 323-801-6925

This is the convo:

Fraud: I am purchasing it for my son in sch fo his birthday gift via usps post. i am gonna offer you $2200.00 including the shipping fee with any other charges and sure its in good condition

Me: Yes - its in great condition used for 3 months but kept it in case and has screen protector - no sctraches - almost new condition

Fraud: sound good and do you have paypal acct

Me: Yes - my paypal email id is 

Fraud: I will let you know when I am done with the payment
Me: Ok - send me shipping info as well and I will provide you tracking number

Got 2 emails from service(at)intl(dot)paypal.com - one with headline "Notification of Payment Received from Mr Ben Jose<benjose08021_at_gmail_com"

2nd email from service(at)intl.paypal.com with headline "You've got a confirmation payment and it's has been Approved !"

IF YOU LOOK CLOSEY AND HAVE A KEEN EYE YOU WILL CATCH THAT THIS EMAIL ACCOUNT DOESNT EXIST - CHECK IF "INTL.PAYPAL.COM" DOMAIN BRINGS TO A LEGIT PAYPAL PAGE - IT DOESN'T - ALSO IF YOU HOOVER OVER THE YOUR EMAIL SENDER'S ID "SERVICE(at)INTL.PAYPAL.COM" it shows up as "TRACKINGVERIFY(at)HOTMAIL.COM" - A HUGE RED FLAG SHOULD GO UP IN YOUR MIND - THIS EMAIL IS ALSO LISTED AT THE BOTTOM THE 2nd EMAIL I GOT

Emai details: Payment sent from 

Ben Jose

benjose08021(at)gmail.com

(mrsjennifermorgan0011(at)gmail(dot)com

SHIP TO:

Cole Lil Smith
1,Mogaji street,
Surulere, 
Lagos
+23401, Nigeria

Back to texting
Fraud: hello...i write to infrom you that i have sucessfully make the payment of $2,200 USD including the shipping money to your paypal acct email so pls check your INBOX and every folders.... i am sure paypal would have alret you cos my money has been deducted from my acct so pls look on your paypal acct email and read well and follow the instructions as instructed in the payment Okay?

Me: yes i got the emails - will ship to the address listed in there of Nigeria
Fraud: yes are you on your way to the post office now... (( this is right after i said yes I got the emails))

Me: ((in the background i am hitting refresh on my paypal account but don't see the money so I searched for the shipping address on google and came to this forum of Fraud)) - i respond to guy: no I am at work but i will get off at 2 pm and will go home to get the box and charger and than go to post office to ship it out
Fraud: ok here is my address just to make sure but its gonna be ship via USPS Express mail right?
Me: Yes I will send it express mail

Fraud: kindly remove the post on craigslist and send the pics of the item to my mail benjose0802(at)gmail.com so that I can foward the pics of the item to my son Okay

Me: ok sure

(THE PICS ARE UP ON CRAIGSLIST - WHY DO YOU NEED ME TO SEND THEM TO YOU AGAIN???)

After few minutes:

Fraud: have you removed the add yet..

Me: I am busy at work but i will remove it shortly

Fraud: Alright

I CALLED PAYPAL AND THERE IS NO SUCH EMAIL OR TRACKING NUMBER THAT THEY HAVE STATING I HAVE PENDING PAYMENT OF $2200.00

Fraud: Your **bleep** is going to be waiting for this phone forever.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nigeria Scam.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

anne1965
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for that i have had the same scam from nigeria telling me my funds were in a paypal escrow account  i am a novice at selling and did not see the signs but a keen eyed western union boss spotted the scam before i made a complete fool of myself and like you it was quite a large amount £250 its a shame there are so many devious people in this world.

Login to Me Too

DavBass

This has just happened to me today - I really thought genuine and was prepargin package for sending off.  I thought I'd just check on here.  On my PayPal app on the requested funds it states pending.  On the computer, full version I can't find my requested funds.  I am so thank ful I checked on here first as it was for £500!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Smiley HappyPhew, so glad you weren't scammed.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

trunklott
New Community Member

This just happened to me as well.

I am trying to sell my Unlocked iPhone 4S on Craigslist and the same crap happened to me. They contacted me and we texted back and forth about the arrangements etc.

I got the 2 emails (and funny enough, Gmail put them in the Spam folder). The paypal account was supposedly a gmail account of joe.phillip001 who was nice enough to "buy this for his cousin" and he was adamant about sending it USPS EXPRESS MAIL SERVICE ONLY.

The shipping address was:

Name: David Akintomide,
Address: Block 248 flat 6 jakande estate,
City: Ejigbo,
State: Lagos,
Postal code: 23401

DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING BEFORE RECEIVING PAYMENT IN YOUR ACTUAL PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

It's alright though, they sent me another text message after I had found out telling me that the payment should have been done and I responded with a f*** off lol. I said that I had done my research and that I knew that they never paid me and not to contact me again.

Haven't heard anything else from them 🙂

Login to Me Too

Zehri
New Community Member
It happened to me today. I posted on craigslist in regards of selling my laptop for $800. I recieved an email a few hours later saying they are interested and asked what are the conditions of it. I had told them its practically brand new and that its just collecting dust. They later on replied with "okay I will transfer you funds via PayPal, what is your paypal email , if you dont have one sign up at www.paypal.com, and was wondering what else you have for sale".......I am a complete idiot. The night before I posted my sale, i was also already thinking of selling my sunglasses as well, and here this person comes along and purchases them both. As naive as i am, i agreed. I later on that day recieved another email saying " make sure you ship it all in one box to Odeyemi Samuel No. 5 Alesh Hotel Road Lekki-Epe Express way Ajah Lagos Nigeria Zip code 24031 I really wanted to sell them so i thought nothing more than to go to the post office and pack it all up. I had forgot to mention they had sent money via "paypal" $1600 which includes the cost of product and shipping fees. If I hadnt been a dummy, i would have red flagged it from the beginning. My laptop was selling for 800$ and sunglasses 120$... Shipping came up to $500 and he was willing to pay it? But anyhow, i was refreshing paypal page to see if funds are there yet, later on recieved an email of which the person and sent me money via "paypal" that in order for the funds to show up, id have to send them a tracking number from post office to confirm that it is ready for delivery. So i thought ok, ill pay with my own money now then i can send them tracking number and ill get my 1600.... He then emailed me asking for a copy of the receipts, so I went home and scanned them, emailed it to him. My friends later on were telling me how its all a scam and i still wont believe them, i was just wanting to get rid of it so bad, then i googled the address and came across this page. So i called canada post to stop the package, got all my items back, and a refund for shipping thank goodness... Emailed the poor **bleep** back saying i canceled it and that his "money" wont be needed. He threatened to take legal action. What I am afraid of now is that, i sent him a copy of the receipt from canada post which has all my information and where I live.....i am afraid something will happen.. I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else...dont be single minded like me please.
Login to Me Too

anne1965
Contributor
Contributor

hi there, i had the same scam but mine was for an expensive watch i was lucky a sharp eyed western union emploee alerted me to the scam so no money was sent. i also got threats from the police and e-mailed photos of arrests which did frighten me but realised i was worrying over nothing as the threats got more bazaar when i got an e-mail from a hit man who was watching me but included in the hit mans e-mail was his name address and phone number so please dont worry about any law enforcement agency being involved its another scam to make you pay up so please ignore it and any others you get. i hope this helps and trust me you are not the only one to be scamed by them.

anne

Login to Me Too

anne1965
Contributor
Contributor

hi there, i had the same scam but mine was for an expensive watch i was lucky a sharp eyed western union emploee alerted me to the scam so no money was sent. i also got threats from the police and e-mailed photos of arrests which did frighten me but realised i was worrying over nothing as the threats got more bazaar when i got an e-mail from a hit man who was watching me but included in the hit mans e-mail was his name address and phone number so please dont worry about any law enforcement agency being involved its another scam to make you pay up so please ignore it and any others you get. i hope this helps and trust me you are not the only one to be scamed by them.

anne

Login to Me Too

ironman12
New Community Member

I'm trying to sell my iPhone 6 in Sep 2016 and this guy is still emailing me.  he offered the same thing, $200 for shipping on top of asking price.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.