Ebay Item not Received claim

Teodor
New Community Member

I sold an item on Ebay, and it has been delivered (according to the Royal Mail web-site).

But the buyer issued the Ebay claim "Item not received", because the item arrived later than expected.

Ebay customer support issued a partial refund to the buyer, and the case was closed, but I am not happy with the amount of the refund: it is too large.

Can I use PayPal Seller protection (the transaction is eligible), and if yes, then how exactly should I proceed??

Can I otherwise file a PayPal claim for the unauthorized transaction for the refund issued to Ebay?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

fedupaswell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,, LOL..... Sorry to laugh mate, (just picking myself up off the floor).. Just thank your lucky stars that the claim was through ebay and not paypal.... Paypal would have given him ALL of the money..  'Item too' Probably.....

I suggest you try anything you can think of and report back..here.. so that, how sellers are treated by this system, gets talked about......

I have just stopped selling to Ireland as both companys seem to be based there, and if you are selling from the uk you are on a loser no matter what the circumstances are..

my case was the other way round... the buyer put a claim in against me on the day that the item arrived,, it had been in the post system for 14 days on its way to Ireland ( not sure what that says)  but the claim was against me,, not the post system... he escalated to a Claim the next day...  which was the day I responded to him.... at least ebay ( well they have said to me today,, that they insist on ten days before it can go to a claim)  give you ten days to make the buyer happy.....

mind you,, you just cannot make some people happy,, on that day I offered my buyer a refund as soon as the item was returned....... he refused.... wanted the money back before he would send it....... what do you do.... the claim went in his favour.......

I was not asked for any information at all.... I was told that the information that I sent was NOT even looked at.....

In answer to both of my 'complaint against paypal' letters they have not even bothered to answer any of my questions.... In BOTH answers I got ------

"We realise that you are unhappy with the decision reach, but as you can
appreciate it is very difficult to satisfy all parties involved">>>>>>>>>>>>>and>>>>>>>>>>>>We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter, and
wish you continued success on PayPal.  >>>>>>>>>>>> You bet they do.... after all it is the sellers that are funding PayPal....

So I tried to see if I would get any help from ebay,,, as a seller... they said that they would have done the same...!!!

But sure,,, try.. why not. but it is really the same company.!!!        I just cannot think of a scenario where they would take any notice of what a seller may say............ but good luck.........  I am just thinking how I can cut down on the fees that I am paying to both 'or' the One company....  I was told by Ebay that I cannot sell on ebay if I do not offer Paypal......... where else have I heard this kind of bullying tactic .... Must be some monopoly commission court case or a film about the Mafia or a Cartel,,, something like that.....

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey there, we are more than aware that one of the biggest pain points for sellers on eBay/PayPal  is Buyers filing claims, for either item not received (which is pretty straightforward) or item not as described (often more complicated).  We try and accommodate both sides in a claim and reach a resolution that suits both sides as well. If we do ask a buyer to return an item they have received, the cost of that return is the buyers (and we recommend recorded, signed for). There is no refund until we get confirmation that the item has been returned to the seller. Even after that point, there is an appeals process open to sellers. As already said the claims/dispute process may not be perfect but we are working on it and amending it regularly to improve it as an experience for both buyers and sellers. Hope that helps.

Login to Me Too

fedupaswell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for looking at my remarks..  But if you have truly read all of my post,??, you can only think that your reply most certainly does not help at all.!!! but it is what I would have expected from a paypal employee. 

Your point about there being  "no refund until you are sure that the item has been returned" what do you think that could possibly mean to me.??   as you block the amount of money that was paid for the item as soon as the buyer starts a claim. so your point is totally irrelevant...

If you understand what has happened in my case,, you must surely see why I would think that the process 'stinks'..

The buyer opened the case the very moment he opened the parcel.... the next day he escalated to a claim..

You Say "We try and accommodate both sides in a claim and reach a resolution that suits both sides as well"    well can you tell me HOW?? in my case did you do that, if you did not even look at anything that I sent to you, with my side of the argument.???? before you say anything...... I was told this from the horses mouth... so do not tell me that paypal would have looked at my points of discussion...

If you immediately ""TAKE AS FACT"" Anything that a Buyer says,,, then you are not acting on anybody's behalf other than the buyer....  Word gets around and now buyers know that they can just change their mind any time they like and get a full refund..... and you give them sixty days....... just think what can happen in sixty days.???

lets take the item that I sold as an example,, a watch, made in the 1970s,, It had just been serviced buy a watchmaker and was working perfectly, the buyer has written to paypal and said that when he unwrapped it, the watch was not working,,, on the same day the buyer wrote to me to tell me that he had not wound it up.?????? it had been in the postal system for '14' days from England to Ireland... I have all the tracking numbers that show I posted it the day after payment.!!! so nothing to do with me... remember 14 days.!! do YOU think that the watch may have been 'wound down by then. ????

In the second communication to Paypal he states that it has worked for a while,,,  he also referrers to the fact that he has opened the watch up and done an inspection and in his opinion the watch needs a massive amount of work done to get it to work.... He then states that the Watch being a certain make... is Unrepairable !!  what utter rubbish.!!

So All the above will be where PAYPAL is accommodating both sides will it.???? 

I also offered,,, immediately... that he could send it back for a full refund.!!!!!!!!!  He went off on one and refused this offer.. 

To You At Paypal it is just about ticking boxes,, when someone wins an item in an auction on ebay they actually 'Stop' someone else from winning it.... That is an Auction.!!!!        What you are doing is totally undermining this process..... 

I lost a sale over this,, and it matters not a jot to paypal     that I might get half the sale price next time.......If I re-list it I have to say why I am re-listing it ....  But I cannot say that a TOTAL PRATT bought it and has now changed his mind..

So you can see why more and more and more sellers are looking into other ways of doing business,,, and why all over the web and on many forums and chat places both you and ebay are being bad mouthed ..... Tell me again what it is I get from paypal as a seller.??????    Shafted..

Your reply to me, sounds just like it is out of a book, a paypal platitude book... We are all individuals,,, and it does not wash....   Each case is a separate case and a separate set of circumcises... If you are not going to look at each case on its merits and fully investigate so that it is impartial and just... then just do not bother at all....

Login to Me Too

Deliberate01
Contributor
Contributor
I entirely agree with fedupaswell's response to the reply from Paypal barry. The latter's post is utterly generic corporation-speak, and skirts around all of the issues here. The concept that Paypal is looking into ways to make the process fairer for buyers and sellers is of no comfort to those of us who are already being conned out of money via Paypal. The basic fact, which I've discovered to my cost as of today, is that Paypal automatically takes the buyer's side in all transactions. The result is a non-system which is wide-open to scamming on the part of buyers. The buyer pays for the item, claims that it has not arrived, opens a 'dispute' (although this is a misnomer) via Paypal, who then refund the buyer's money, and finally the buyer is permitted to retain their money and the item. This should be illegal. Further, there should be the option to report such scammers so that future sellers do not fall victim to them. No such system is in place. Paypal barry, your response to the above – and I mean the specifics of the above – would be appreciated. Though I doubt it will be forthcoming.
Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I sold an eMac on eBay, the buyer opened a not as described dispute saying it ran slow, that it was outdated, and off colour i.e not as white as it should be.

I as the seller advised that the item was 10 years old and that the specification of it was such that it would not run new software, and that the item was aged and you would expect discolouration.

I won the dispute.

Not all disputes are won by buyers, it is down to the seller to adequately defend any claim initiated by a buyer if they feel it an item is as described.

A full description of all items should be on the listing, stating age, use etc., if sellers used better descriptions and adequately responded to disputes buyers would not always win.

Login to Me Too

fedupaswell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Deliberate01 and classy-diva. for adding to this thread.. 

I see that you have experienced the 'HAND OF PAYPAL' --Deliberate01.. My commiserations... 
As for your case Classy-Diva,,, 'Well Done' !   ------  but I don't think you really read my post, fully,
Do you not call contacting the buyer the next day and offering a refund, adequately responding.??
If you were running the claims department in paypal wouldn't you think that the seller was acting correctly?
Would you not think it was a bit odd that the buyer,, opened a case the day the item came through the door, 
without giving the seller a chance to respond.?? Even odder to escalate to a claim the NEXT DAY... 
This being the day that an offer was made to give a full refund?
Also it sounds like PayPal let you Defend yourself,, lucky you... did you not see where I wrote that Paypal refused 
to look at my input.??  Bizarre I know,,,, but there you have it... but then you are Classy.!  so they took more 
notice...
I find your 'Assumption' that my listing did not contain a full description, slightly worrying as how would you think 
that????, 
Do you work for paypal.?? (I see you have left may 'Posts')  OH Of course you do NOT, as, if you did, you would 
have read my listing and be 100% aware that, you would be very hard pressed to find a better and fuller 
description, even from the original Manufacturer.!!
I actually opened a 'Complaint' against Paypal for the way they had handled this issue.... to try and get some 
answers..
This is how Paypal responded to my complaint........ They refused to answer any questions.!!!!!!!!!?????????
They would not talk to me.!!! after the third letter from me to try and get an answer to a statement that they had 
made regarding the claim against me,, 
----------Which was---- "based on what verifiable information is available at the time" -------  
I wanted to know what this Verifiable information was..... Do you think that this was an unreasonable request.????
They would not proceed with the complaint against them..??????  !! what does that say about any 'Organisation'..
If you still think as you intimate in your reply,, that I may be at fault with my description of the said item..
Please give me your email address.. I will be happy to send it to you, to judge.. I will also be more than happy to 
give you all the correspondence from the buyer, myself and paypal..
You would then also be able to see all my 100% Positive feed back from over two years of selling my collection on ebay and see how my """Descriptions"""  and the Items, are received by the Buyers on ebay....

Something that Paypal 'SHOULD' have taken into account....Also.....

Login to Me Too

Blackjack1
New Community Member
Where is open dispute button on pay pal ??
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No button,  look on resolve a problem via resolution centre lower left of your summary page. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Eclectic84

You're lucky you are in trouble with the law for posting this buyer's full name and shipping address! What were you htinking?!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.