Contributor
I've lost over £2000 because PayPal cannot protect me from scammers
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Allie1

Not up to paypal to give you all your protection.

They give you "some" seller protection and the rest is up to you to risk assess your transactions and what you sell based on that coverage.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Allie1
Contributor
Contributor
How come? I've sent the bag to confirmed address , via track able service . The scammer signed for the parcel and done chargeback with her credit card after 2 months after receiving it !!! Paypal haven't done a thing to protect me!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Allie1

As i said they give you "some" protection.

So if you did not get seller protection as a result of the chargeback then you did not meet that cover in some way.

Sending trackable to a confirmed address is only 1 of the criteria of seller protection, did you meet all the rest of the criteria???

Do you have a premier or business account??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Allie1
Contributor
Contributor
I have a private account I'm not a business On the PayPal page was a "selle protection enable" That piece of scam wouldn't do it through ebay , she done it through PayPal credit card ( chargeback) option And how she can win chargeback after she signed for the parcel , waited 2 months !!!! And then decided to chargeback me? Any genuine buyer would contact seller straight away , not wait for 2 months .. I will contact better business, Interpol and everything else I could involve to get it straight Thank you for your answers but I cannot see anything comforting or advising in it
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Allie1

That would be it then.

If you only have a personal account and not a premier / business account then you do not have ANY seller protection as you are not supposed to sell using a personal account.

A personal account is for buying or for sending money to family or friends.

Most sellers on ebay or paypal are not businesses but you have to have a business account to sell > you just select the "individual" pathway when you sign up for one.

I don't post to comfort or advise, I post to give you FACTS as to how paypal works as i am an ebay seller myself.

A chargeback as opposed to a paypal dispute is done directly by the buyer via their credit card company, if that company gets the money back for their client YOU would be protected by paypal if you met ALL the criteria of seller protection.

You did not though as you were selling on an account you were not supposed to be using to sell.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Allie1
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks Could you possibly send me a link saying that I'm not protected from chargeback if item sold my personal belonging on eBay and paid via Paypal ? All I found is : Is your sale eligible? For your sale to be eligible for protection from disputes and chargebacks with Paypal: The item must be a physical, tangible good The transaction should be marked - by Paypal - as ‘eligible’ or ‘partially eligible’ for PayPal Seller Protection on the ‘transaction details’ page, and in your confirmation email. If ‘partially eligible’, you'll be covered only if the buyer claims that the item wasn't received. You can find the 'transaction details' by logging into Paypal, finding the transaction in question, and selecting the 'details' link. You must have posted the item to the shipping address on the ‘transaction details' page The buyer must have paid in a single payment Your primary residence listed on your Paypal account must be in the UK or Ireland You must have followed all postage requirements
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Allie1

Setting up your PayPal/eBay Account & Preferences

If your a new seller, the first thing you should do is make sure you have the right account with PayPal.  For selling on eBay this  PayPal Payments Policy applies.

You can start selling using a Personal Account and upgrade once you have received your first Credit/Debit Card payment; however, for those payments, before you upgrade you will not have Seller Protection unless you have a Verified Premier or Business Account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Allie1
Contributor
Contributor
Ok In this case , I should get my item back if buyer said that item not as described Paypal did nothing to help , minimum information etc I need a buyer's bank or credit card company so I could file legal complain with them It's a crime ! The buyer received the parcel, signed for it and decided to file chargeback after 2 months. paypal not interested in seller's protection I'll close my account after I file crime report
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Allie1

If it was a chargeback rather than a paypal dispute which you said it was then paypal have no say in the decision, the c.c. company makes that decision.

All paypal can do is pass on any info you provide to them.

If the credit card company find in favour of their customer then they get that customer their money back. They DO NOT expect the customer to send you back your  item.

As i said IF you were covered by seller protection then you would not lose out as paypal would reimburse you but YOU CHOSE to sell on a personal account and so you lost that protection.

Paypal are interested in seller protection but YOU have to make sure you follow the rules to qualify for it.......YOU DIDN'T.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.