Charge back on eBay sale.

Trinity68
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all, I have had a charge back on my account after selling an item on ebay. I have not had any contact from the buyer, they have not opened a case in ebay or left negative feedback, the item was tracked and delivered. I just simply got a message from PayPal saying their card company is claiming the money back! The item is worth over £300 and with shipping to the USA it came to more than £400. So they have the item and their money!. I have sold hundreds of items on ebay and to the USA but never had this happen before. It seems that all I can do is wait for PayPal to make a judgement. How wrong is thus? Can anyone advise on what happens next and how long etc. Until this is resolved I am not selling or buying anything with PayPal
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Donna

Hello Trinity68,

Thank you for your post.

I am afraid that there is nothing we can do to prevent someone opening a case on a payment that they have made to you. If they report a payment as unauthorised on PayPal we will investigate to make sure that this is the case and will release any funds if we find that it is not unauthorised. If the sender goes directly to their bank, I am afraid it is the bank who make the final decision. 

-Donna

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Trinity68

A chargeback means that an account holders has filed directly via their card issuer and not opened a Paypal dispute.
The card company make all the decisions and all Paypal can do is pass on any info on your behalf.

If you lose then you also pay the card issuers processing fee of £14.
However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Trinity68
Contributor
Contributor
The item was tracked and delivered so what more can I do? I could end up £400 out of pocket and I won't get the item back,! The buyer is pulling a fast one surely
Login to Me Too

Trinity68
Contributor
Contributor
What amazes me is I've not had a single message from the buyer
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Donna

Hello Trinity68,

Thank you for your post.

I am afraid that there is nothing we can do to prevent someone opening a case on a payment that they have made to you. If they report a payment as unauthorised on PayPal we will investigate to make sure that this is the case and will release any funds if we find that it is not unauthorised. If the sender goes directly to their bank, I am afraid it is the bank who make the final decision. 

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.