Cancelling an E-Cheque and Buyer saying refund not received?????

BenHarrison
New Community Member

Hi all

I sold some clothes on ebay and the buyer paid by e-cheque, i advised that i would despatch when the e-cheque had cleared but he said that this has never said before by a buyer and he needs them in 4 working days.

i wasnt happy with his attitude and demands so i cancelled the e-cheque, 2 days later he messages me to say " why have you taken the money out of my account?" i explained and sent a screen shot that the e-cheque he sent had been cancelled and i had not recieved any money.

Does anyone know if any money would of actually left his account? and where i stand as i dont want a case opened saying i have his money - when paypal clearly shows i have not recieved it and he has no item that he bought?

5 days on from the purchase hes says he still has not recieved a refund? but i cant be sure that the money actually left his account - i only have his word? I have relisted the items on ebay.

Many thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BenHarrison

When a buyer pays you it is never instant > paypal credit you the funds and then start the process of uploading their payment from their funding source to reimburse themselves.

So when you cancel that payment or echeque those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to his funding source (if he paid with a debit or credit card), or credit their paypal balance (if it was funded from a balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

You have quite rightly cancelled an echeque as the buyer was not prepared to wait, you can do no more he just has to wait for his funds to transfer to paypal > back to him again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BenHarrison
New Community Member

Thank you for the reply, but when you say Paypal credit you the funds then surely this would mean that i, able to then transfer the money from my paypal to bank account but at the time i recieved the e-cheque it would not let me transfer any funds because there was none there? 

So if it is a e-cheque then this would mean that paypal dont credit you as there was no funds in my paypal wallet to transfer and i would have to wait for the e-cheque to clear (pending transaction?).

Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BenHarrison

Sorry should have said they credit you the funds UNLESS its an echeque.

As its an echeque and you have cancelled it then those funds that have been authorised by the buyer still have to process through to paypal (as they can't do a u-turn) but when they arrive as you have cancelled the transaction they are credited to the buyers paypal balance instead of being passed on to you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.