Can i get scammed if ..

Nemzoo
Contributor
Contributor
Hello , last night i posted my laptop on ebay for sale as an auction with a buy it now price of 200 pounds . Wasnt more than 10 minutes that i got a message saying that someone had purchased it . The buyer said it is a bday gift and wants me to send it to Nigeria to his cousin. His ebay account is has no feedback but i got an email from paypall saying that he already transfered the money and i will get them after i put a tracking number om ebay. I called the post office to see how i can send it to Nigeria and the person on the phone warned me about a high number of scams in this country . So my question is can i get scammed if the money is with paypall already ? I have a no return policy but maybe he will say that the item has not arrived and i will not get my money does anyone have any idea how it works ? Thanks apreciate any help
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nemzoo

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

P.S. His ebay account would have been hijacked from someone else.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nemzoo

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

P.S. His ebay account would have been hijacked from someone else.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Nemzoo
Contributor
Contributor
I gave him my paypal email adress. Can he do any harm with that ?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nemzoo

No, as long as you didn't give him your password !!!

Just ignore him.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nemzoo

Your welcome !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.