Buyer's purchase charge back as Unauthorized Purchase filed by parent?

xTFNY
Contributor
Contributor

Recently, I have received an update from Paypal for two unauthorized purchase dispute.

Both sales are made far back in Nov 2014 and buyer was a regular buyer since April last year. However, the latest two purchase was paid by a different credit card owner and has been filed as unauthorized purchase by the owner

The credit card owner is definitely the buyer's dad/uncle because

1. They have the same family name
  2. They stay at the same area (US, CA los angelas) 
  3. They all have this common english name 'patterns/traits', everyone has a name that practically starts with a letter 'C'.
  4. They practically LOOK related since they asians who have migrated to the states. The whole family have this korean asian kind of look. 

I assume the case was that the owner of the credit card; in this case it was the buyer's father, was unknown to the purchase or had forgotten about it and made a report to his credit card company.

What makes the matter worst was that, the item had positive feedback left on facebook by the buyer! 

So I sent in some files to paypal (Stated below):

• Tracking ID
  • Purchase History (Since buyer was a regular customer)
  • Positive feedbacks

In the end, paypal totally decided to side with the buyer due to lack of shipping info. I clearly had the tracking ID which ships to the postal code, country and state! The matter was not regarding the delivery of the product but more of the purchase made.

I did call back to paypal to complain about it because it was so unfair.

1. I have already shipped the item out with registered postage
  2. Items are gone now but payment is reversed?!
  3. I clearly DID provide the necessary information and the case was about the purchase not the delivery, how could they side the buyer just due to lack of shipping info?

Child using parent's card

I was told that if a kid were to use their parent's credit card, the parents do not have to pay for it as it wasn't the purchase they have made. However, in this case the buyer is clearly a young adult does this still applies to the weird parent and child policy? 

Honestly, the policy of not liable to pay for purchase made by their family members is a total nonsense to me. Does this means that I could just freely use my parent's card and have them filed unauthorized purchase so that we could get things free?! It doesn't make any sense at all and it is just a nightmare to us sellers. At the end of the day, I was told by my sis that paypal was just trying to get the easy way out by siding the buyer and the credit card company.

refuse to resolve the negative balance caused by this dispute, what's worst was that my paypal balance was already deducted from the dispute and sadly, it wasn't enough. Well it doesn't cost a lot but the sum was an amount I wouldn't just let go, it was around USD$90? Paypal also added $20 for dispute charge; unreasonable, they did nothing to help me and even charged me for it.

I called in to explain the dispute and was told to send in more evident and email them again. I will send in more info but really, I'm sick of this whole routine and definitely will be annoyed after sending in files and still losing the dispute.

Have anyone met with such cases? Is there anything I could do about it?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

cmb1972
Contributor
Contributor

I am unable to start a new topic as I find using paypals site very difficult!

I am currently going through  a chargeback case and paypal have put my account into the red.

This concerns an item I sold on ebay 3 months ago.

The buyer claims he did not buy the item, although I have numerous messages from buyer prior to and after receiving item.

Positive feedback left by buyer etc.

I have had no contact with buyer since regarding an issue.

I supplied tracking details for RM signed delivery to buyer and paypal immediately after posting item.

I have supplied all the evidence I possibly can to paypal, including a photo of the post receipt.

My problem is I need to pay for an item on ebay but am unable to due to the negative balance.

I have done nothing wrong so I am not prepared to cover the negative balance.

I will close my bank account, leave ebay and close paypal account should the case go in favour of the buyer(scammer).

I am being told this can take up to 75 days to resolve................what a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice from anyone as paypal are far from reasuring me?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

xTFNY
Contributor
Contributor
I gave up on the issue. Am not gonna sell on ebay anymore. They informed me that it will take up to 75 days too. At first paypal sided the buyer but i called in for an appeal. My suggestion would be to use ur family member's paypal instead.
Login to Me Too

Aldred411
Contributor
Contributor
Hi , I've received an email yesterday , informing me that , the persons bank that I sold my Xbox 360 too back in February 2013 has requested the 127 pounds that they paid for it , seriously it's now April 2015 , pay pal want me to provided proof of postage which obviously after 2years and 2 months I haven't got it , I can't even access the transaction on eBay because it was so long ago , also it's not like there even trying to return the Xbox , not that I want it back, tried phoning PayPal they were closed, I can't resolve the case in the resolution centre as it won't let me challenge or ask for a explanation, I messaged PayPal but no reply , contacted ebay they said contact paypal . I really am not happy
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi everyone,

I can understand that these situations may be frustrating for all of you.

The chargeback process can be quite challening. As this is a disputes process outside of PayPal, we are required to comply with the credit card companies final decision on the outcome of the case. Chargebacks can be filed anywhere up to 180 days from when a transaction has taken place and that could be why you see a chargeback disputed a long time after a transaction was received.

The best thing you can do as a seller is ensure that you send the item with tracking information to the address supplied on the transaction. You should always keep postage receipts in a folder (I keep mine for up to 6 months after a transaction has taken place in the event of something like this happening).

As we are unable to see or discuss account specific information via the Community, my best advice for you would be to try giving our claims team a call on 0800 358 7911 and they can look into each of your cases individually.

If you would like more information on our Seller Protection Policy or Chargebacks, you can find more information here.

Please let me know how it goes.

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.