Buyer is now claiming my item is fake? When will the dispute close?

rbyoung23

So basically, I sold an eye shadow palette through depop but chose to recieve payment via paypal as they fees were waaaay less. Anyway, I showed authenticity for the item and discussed with the buyer that it was real, put a bunch of pictures up to further back this up and we came to an agreement. So she recieved her items but has created a claim for some reason and now my account is in the minus, and I can't buy or sell anything through paypal. My item is 100% real, and I can prove it but will I have to refund her just because she made the claim? This seems really unfair, as I'm making good money from depop and only have ever had good encounters with buyers but I've had to stop temporarily because of this, and I would NEVER sell a fake product as I am not a d*ck and it can be very dangerous. Has anyone else been through this? What happens next? Any info would be greatly appreciated 🙂 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rbyoung23

Paypal never has access to view any items so in the event of a  dispute for ''item received but not as described''  then all they can go on is one persons word against another and how much of a description was on the invoice or money request when the buyer paid.

They do ''tend'' to find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to send the item back to you ''trackable'' to prove delivery at their own expense before you have to refund the original payment only.

BUT if the buyer says its fake then they have to prove that by getting proof from a store that sells the item or eg trading standards and supplying it in the form of a letter to paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rbyoung23

Thank you so much for getting back to me! 

So does this mean it could take a while? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rbyoung23

Depends, has the buyer already escalated the dispute to a claim?

If its still at the dispute stage then he has up to 20 days to escalate to a claim. If he does not then it times out at 20 days and closes.

If he has escalated to a claim then paypal normally make a decision and say whether he needs to send it back or not within 10 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.