Buyer Opens Dispute

af37
Contributor
Contributor
A buyer purchased earrings from me off of Ebay, posted them day after purchase via their chosen postage method which was ordinary first class mail. Apparently they have not arrived and buyer opened a Paypal dispute and escalated. I am trying to respond but options only allow issue refund, proof of tracking etc. there are no options to state my side of the case. Can anyone advise how I can respond to Paypal please? Thanks.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Tracking is for your benefit not the buyers.

If you choose or let your buyer choose non trackable postage then you will have no seller protection.

If a buyer does not get an item then of course they deserve a refund, that is why tracking is important for you. If the item is lost in the post then you can refund the buyer and then claim from RM with your tracking number.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

af37
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks but Royal Mail only compensate jewellery if sent via special delivery which would have cost buyer £8. I listed option to have it sent at first class recorded delivery but they chose not to use this method. I have proof of postage but when posting they asked what was being sent and when I told them jewellery they wrote a note on receipt customer advised no compensation. I am annoyed that I will be out of pocket through no fault of my own.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

sorry but if you wanted protection you should have sent it special delivery and listed postage at £8 on your auction if that is what it took to protect yourself.

you don't give the buyer a choice, you list the postage you want and the delivery method you are going to use and when a buyer bids they accept those terms.

proof of postage only proves you posted the item and not that the buyer received it.

if you bought something from amazon and it didn't arrive would you be happy if they said sorry no refund as we can prove we posted it??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hollia1
Contributor
Contributor

The seller is responsible for ensuring their buyer receives the item they have paid for. So if they do not receive it, the seller refunds the buyer in full and then makes a claim to Royal Mail using their POP as evidence.

Packages do go missing otherwise why would RM have a process in place to make a claim.

The claim form is available to download from RM's website or you can get one from the post office. Include with your claim a copy of the paypal confirmation of payment email, the ebay listing page, any messages from the buyer confirming non receipt and the proof of postage receipt. Keep copies of all paperwork.

You cannot submit a claim until 15 days after you posted the package but you must not make your buyer wait for their refund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.