Buyer Collects - Paypal causes problems

mrlossyman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I sold a phone via ebay which the buyer decided he wanted to collect: sequence of events:

1) Buyer wins auction and pays via ebay

2) Auction was for deliver at £8

3) buyer supplies address but is staying near by, asks for a refund on postage and if he can collect

4) I refund the postage

5) Buyer collects item and I ask that he leaves positive feedback to show the item has been collected

6) Buyer does this

Now I realise that Paypal are refusing to release my funds because they say I didn't post the item.  I say I refunded the item and have proof it was collected.  Paypal is absolutely useless, even there policy states funds will be released once positive feedback is received.

Why doesn't ebay give the option to remove using paypal?  You can't actally stop anyone from paying with it.  I noew absolutely despise this service and don't want to give them another penny of my money...

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

mrlossyman
Contributor
Contributor
Well now they have lost a customer. Seems that PayPal is not ethical and as you are a voluntary advisor I can see you tow the company line. You've helped me make.my decision.. Thanks

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mrlossyman

No their policies do not state funds will be released on feedback being left, and they have not said that for years.

What there policies do say is that you have NO paypal seller protection on items that are collected.

That is why ebay allow you to put cash on collection only on items that are to be collected. That way you have cash in hand and no paypal fees.

Any items i sell that are for collection i state cash only, if a buyer pays by paypal by mistake then i refund them and ask for cash when they arrive to collect the item.

Paypal are doing exactly what they say  >>>

Typically you will get access to your funds within 21 days, and possibly even sooner >>

1. If you print postage labels through eBay or PayPal or use another carrier who provides tracking information and manually enter delivery tracking information on eBay funds will be available three days after the latest estimated delivery date.

2. If you mark the item as dispatched but don’t upload tracking information, funds should be available seven days after your latest estimated delivery date.

3. If you don’t provide tracking information or mark the item as dispatched, funds will be available in 21 days.

AND

Can my funds be released earlier if my buyers provide positive Feedback about the transaction?

Not all buyers will leave feedback, therefore PayPal uses shipping time to determine when funds will be released.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mrlossyman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply:

1) When you select that items are collection only then surely paypal should be removed and not an option

2) How about if an item does arrive, the recipient damages the item and then puts in a claim?

Surely the fact that positive feedback has been left (which only the buyer can do) is proof that the item has been received, in fact better proof than a delivery note?   

I'm sorry but like many people who use this forum I'm really unhappy with the way that paypal acts, it put the advantage to the customer and sets the seller up for failure.  I simply can't accept that if a buyer collects and item and leaves feedback, documented, then funds can't be released.  My account will be closed after this even though 10's of thousands of pounds (with their commission) has gone through paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mrlossyman

1. No, because some sellers don't mind accepting paypal for collection. If they have already gone through the new seller hold then there payments are instant anyway so they don't have to worry about waiting for the money.

If they are selling items that are low risk then seller protection is not so much of an issue.

2.  If you mean the buyer collects the item and puts in a claim for non receipt etc then of course paypal would find in the buyers favour as the seller did not provide a tracking number.

As for positive feedback i already gave you the quote as per above from paypals pages. A buyer can leave the wrong seller feedback by mistake so paypal always go with shipping instead.

Most of us are perfectly happy with paypal as we READ up on seller protection first before we started selling. The only reason you are not happy is because you were unaware you could accept cash on collection only if you listed the item as such and that paypal won't release your funds for 21 day as per there policy.

If thats the case and you don't understand how things work then maybe its best you use another payment method? Thats your choice. As an ebay seller myself i am quite happy about how it works as i understand it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mrlossyman
Contributor
Contributor
Well I am not a new eBayer been with them 10 years, have a 500+ positive feedback 100%. Sold £5000 of items in the last three months so why is this payment pending? If I.was new I.could understand this...
Login to Me Too

mrlossyman
Contributor
Contributor
2. If you mean the buyer collects the item and puts in a claim for non receipt etc then of course paypal would find in the buyers favour as the seller did not provide a tracking number. But what if the seller has proof the buyer asked to collect the item, the seller refunded the postage and the buyer emailed to say he was happy with the item? Are you saying PayPal would still rule on the side of the buyer? I'd so that's criminal and you are dead right, I.wont use PayPal again...
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mrlossyman

But what if the seller has proof the buyer asked to collect the item, the seller refunded the postage and the buyer emailed to say he was happy with the item? Are you saying PayPal would still rule on the side of the buyer?

Yes i would because the ONLY proof paypal accept is a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer.

I agree it would be criminal on the BUYERS side but not on paypals as there seller protection is clearly laid out in the user agreement that YOU agreed to when you joined paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too
Solved

mrlossyman
Contributor
Contributor
Well now they have lost a customer. Seems that PayPal is not ethical and as you are a voluntary advisor I can see you tow the company line. You've helped me make.my decision.. Thanks
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mrlossyman

I don't tow any line I post my own opinions on here as AN EBAY SELLER myself.

I have no NEED to tow anyline as ANYONE can be an advisor as long as they post to help others on here.

I can only give you the FACTS if you don't like those facts and make the decision to not use paypal then thats entirely up to you. 

Funny that if i have a different opinion to yours then i must be towing paypals line     Smiley Very Happy

OR maybe I just READ up on how paypal does and does not protect me and risk assessed my transactions accordingly.  Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Norbee
Contributor
Contributor

One thing is sure,paypal CC are abolute liars and their system is stupid!

My buyer collected in person. We have signed a bill of sale and i have provided the copy of that to CC.

They told me to set system to item processed status and than money will be released within 8 days.

Of course it didn't happen!

These people are NOT protecting sellers on some occasion neither sellers nor buyers!

They protect only PAYPAL!!!

This was my first and LAST selling involvig these dishonest people.

Naturally they have taken off their fees before putting MY money on hold...tell tale about these crooks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.