Am I being Scammed - Please help quickly!!!

Garyscott09

hi,

I have just sold a phone today.  I've recieved an email which is supposedly from paypal saying the money is in my account but it will not be released until i have submitted a postage reference (I've included it below.  I cant help feeling this is a scam as there is nothing showing in my paypal account (not even anything that is being held).  Is this genuine?  Please help me!!!  I've had to delete the email addresses to allow me to post this but the email used was service AT paypal dot co dot uk (if that makes sense)

Thanks for any help you can give

Sent: 2010/09/30 20:26:58   To:      Cc:      Subject:  **PayPal Payment For eBay Item Transaction (#5Y758872CS5622206)**  

Protect Your Account Info
Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites.

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL (https://www.paypal.com/row  / ) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review our Security Tips at https://www.paypal.com/row /securitytips
Protect Your Password You should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.

You've got new funds!

Dear gary_scott_01,

Tyler Gansel sent you money with PayPal.

Tyler Gansel is a Verified buyer.

Payment Details

Amount:
£167.00

Transaction ID:
5Y758872CS5622206

Note:
Pls Ship before 01/10/2010

Item:
Nokia E5

(230531349167)

Shipping Information

Address:

Name: Tyler Gansel
Address:10,Aveley Mansions Whitting Avenue
Town/City:Essex,London
Post-code.IG11 8JJ
Country;United Kingdom

Address Status:

This PayPal?payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has
been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking
number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the 
seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail
pay-palshipmentnotifies and our customercares service will attend to you. As soon as you send  the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited into your account.
                                                                                                                                                              **PLEASE NOTE**
Once shipment has been verified  and the tracking number sent to us,
You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email"  from PayPal?informing you that the Money has been credited
Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

PayPal Email ID PP274
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kellylouise007
New Community Member

I had this exact scam yesterday.

Reported it to spoof@paypal.com and ebay who investigated and confirmed he has hacked into someones account to make the bids.

I had genuine ebay email confirming this,

but the guy is persistant.

He then began sending emails from ebay - saying they had made a mistake and the buyer was genuine and please send the phone.

I have just replied saying 'phone is in the post' (which it isnt)

I'm so tempted to send a box of dog poo in its place 🙂

Dont ship your phone!!!! and report him to spoof@paypal.com

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20
Solved

kellylouise007
New Community Member

I had this exact scam yesterday.

Reported it to spoof@paypal.com and ebay who investigated and confirmed he has hacked into someones account to make the bids.

I had genuine ebay email confirming this,

but the guy is persistant.

He then began sending emails from ebay - saying they had made a mistake and the buyer was genuine and please send the phone.

I have just replied saying 'phone is in the post' (which it isnt)

I'm so tempted to send a box of dog poo in its place 🙂

Dont ship your phone!!!! and report him to spoof@paypal.com

Login to Me Too

karet

YES  dont fall for it my friend got done with her sons psp

Login to Me Too

tasha_2226
New Community Member

I have had exact same emails from someone in nigeria, Selling my galaxy s phone. I thought it may be a scam as the emails from paypal dont look genuine.

Scamming knobs!

Did you send your phone?

Login to Me Too

dazriley
Contributor
Contributor

Never send anything to Nigeria!

Most will be in Lagos.

Anything like a phone you really want to state UK bidders only

Login to Me Too

lisalovesaaron
New Community Member

i sent my xbox 360 to someone in nigeria and i had a email off paypal asking for the tracking number i sent them the tracking number and they want me to send them a emailof the recipt can anyone help me what i should do

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there lisalovesaaron,

Is there a case open for this item?

I just want to make sure it is defiantly PayPal requesting this information. If the case is open and the information is being requested through that then once your tracking number shows delivery to the buyers address in the transaction details you should be ok.

However if there is no case open you may have a problem.

Login to Me Too

poshragz

Hi All

Same thing has just happened, exact same postal address, email supposedly from Paypal services but actually from

pay-palshipmentnotifies(at)officeemail(dot)net

Same address, different name - Charles Dunlop. Looks like another old ebay account been hacked, unused since 2009.

However, bottom of email also stated payment is from 'James Thomson' lol

Lucy, have forwarded email to spoof @paypal

Isn't it about time the rozzers turned up at this fellas door? Seeing as this has gone on for quite some time??  Have google street-viewed it and it's deffo a residential property/block of flats actually.....

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi Poshragz,

Thanks for forwarding the email to us, it goes directly to our fraud department and they investigate it on your bahalf.

I will advise that we do pass any information on to the relevant authorities in order to try and prevent this from happening to other people. To be honest, I don't know anything about information being escalated and all we can try to do is as much as we can to prevent this from happening to other people in the future.

David.

Login to Me Too

davez
Contributor
Contributor

my son has tried to sell a phone with the same problem, how do I find the fraud page in paypal? I tried to follow the guide but cant get past the resolution centre/all cases.

for info the buyer (kennybrown) used these email addresses with the same tactics as above, I knew it was a scam right off. He even threatened to close my paypal account if I didnt send the phone, just told him I wasnt born yesterday, idiot..

ebay_co.ukATin.com (a web mail site) I have replaced the @ with AT as it would not let me post otherwise

onlinefundclearanceATin.com

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.