ASKED BY PAYPAL TO GIVE REFUND TO A BUYER CLAIMING FALSELY THAT AN ITEM WAS SENT DAMAGED!

Ecobee53
New Community Member

Hello,  I wondered if anyone can help on this matter.

I sent a brand new and tagged leather pair of leggings to an ebay customer in good faith.  I have been selling on ebay for at least seven years now, on and off, and as a private seller, I have built up some great feedback.  However, I do not accept returns from buyers as I am quite a small seller and I do not have a shop and I just sell items that I have around my home or I might sell items that friends have purchased or unwanted gifts. 

I sold and sent a brand new pair of leather leggings with their tag to a buyer, who asked me if she could return them as they did not fit her.  I stated to her that I do not accept returns for this reason and ebay agreed and the case was closed.

The buyer has, however, raised a case via paypal, who has now stated that I should accept the return and refund the payment to the buyer once I have received the item.  I have stated to paypal that I do not accept this, as the leggings were in brand new condtion and the buyer only wants to return them because they dont fit.  Emails between us do confirm that the item is not damaged and there is no fault with the leggings. 

I  do feel unprotected as the seller in this case and wondered where I stand legally?  Can anyone help?!!  Would be much appreciated.  I am also very worried as I run a very tight financial ship and I currently do not have enough funds in my paypal account to cover the cost of this return.  Hope that someone can shed some more light on this as I have not had to deal with a case like this before.  Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ecobee53

No, paypal cannot take money without authorisation they would refund the buyer themselves and then they can either >>

1. Limit your account and put it into negative until you pay them back again OR

2. Allow you to buy only and when you next buy an item and authorise a payment "tag" on the negative amount and then when you click to authorise it they have also got their neg balance back.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ecobee53

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is often one persons word against anothers.

So paypal normally find in favour of the buyer BUT they have to send the item back to you at their own expense before you have to refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Ecobee53
New Community Member

Hi and thanks for your speedy reply.  I'm quite worried about this as if I lose (and it looks as though I might!) I'm short on paypal funds.  Does paypal have the right to go into my bank account without my consent?  Thank you

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ecobee53

No, paypal cannot take money without authorisation they would refund the buyer themselves and then they can either >>

1. Limit your account and put it into negative until you pay them back again OR

2. Allow you to buy only and when you next buy an item and authorise a payment "tag" on the negative amount and then when you click to authorise it they have also got their neg balance back.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Ecobee53
New Community Member

Thats ok I suppose and I might just have to swallow this one.

Never mind. Its not the end of the world. In the meantime thank you so much.   I really do appreciate your help.  You have put my mind at ease.

Kind regards and keep up your great work!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.