ALLOWING A BUYER 180 DAYS TO FILE A CLAIM = FREE 180 DAY WARRANTY ON ANTIQUE ITEMS I SELL!

lionelflyerdave
Contributor
Contributor

I just read that a buyer on Ebay now has the freedom to have half a year to buy their item from me and either destroy it, or swap it out with their same but beat up model of the same item they purchased from me. This is insane, Ebay says to get people to sell, to "clean out your garage and sell your old junk on ebay to make some extra cash"!! They dont tell you that half a year after you sell the 'junk' the buyer can force you to take it back and get all their money refunded. I collect and used to sell antique Lionel and American Flyer toy trains, which were at least 60 sometimes almost 100 years old. It is or should be, illegal to force me to give a 180 day warranty on items like this, where else in the US can a buyer get a free 180 day warranty on any item??? What kind of sense does this make? Way back when the buyer only had 45 days to open a dispute, I had 2 different buyers fraud me out of almost $1,000 on 2 transactions, by doing the same thing, they waited several weeks after buying my old vintage trains, which are always in pristine condition, that is all I will buy. Anyway, I get notice that a buyer has opened a dispute that the item was "Not as described", and then they escalate to a claim, they send it back, I have no say, I get back the item, it is clearly not the one I sold them, but an exact same model they had but was in poor condition, so they kept my nice pristine model and retuned their junker to me, which was worthless, this happened a second time, and that was all it took, paypal would not even talk to me even when i tried to submit photos of my item VS what they sent me, so there is nothing to prevent this from happening anytime. I am disabled now, and must sell part of my vast collection i spent 40 years searching for the most perfect condition trains i could buy, which were not cheap or easy to find, but I will no longer sell on ebay, i cannot afford to lose $1,000 on fraud allowed by paypal s forced 180 day free return policy, this is not only insane it is insulting and should be illegal and would be in many countries. Very sad. I use paypal when i buy, but never again to sell. 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lionelflyerdave

The buyer would have to prove the item that they had received was not as described, and the time they took to file the claim would also be considered so there is no guarantee the buyer would win.

Also what difference is it with a buyer filing with paypal in 180 days OR if they funded their paypal payment via a card then filing with their card in the same timescale??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rickno78

Absolutely NOT ACCURATE.  The person placing the claim can say whatever they want....that pink ferries flew out of the package....Paypal will only check to see if the item was returned.  WHen tracking says it comes back then they release the hold of funds in favor of the BUYER.  The Seller has nearly ZERO recourse.  Ebay policies, and your store policies are not taken into account.  

Not ONLY that, but if it is beyond 60 days you WILL NOT get your ebay fees back, and under no circumstances will you get to deduct shipping costs.  You better hope you get your product back in one piece.

Watch out for ever increasing fraud as this becomes more and more known.  

When Ebay and Paypa seperated, you LOST all policy support.

And YES it is VERY different than CC processing.....there is no way a customer can win a claim against you if they are trying to return an item that is OUTSIDE of your stated store policies.

These are the facts....I do over a half million in sales per year across multiple platforms, and ebay is now unfortunately one of the worse when it comes to this sort of thing.  The Ebay Seller Protection is basically worthless.  Paypal protection is now non existent. 

Sorry for the bad news, but the only way to look at this is that it is a cost of doing business, and eventually ebay/paypal will suffer when people move to other more hospitable platforms.

Login to Me Too

Rickno78

And I forgot to mention.....the buyer can return the package without permission or so much as discussing it with you.  They simply need to mail it back to you.  Paypal PROHIBITS you refusing the pakcage.  If you refuse the package, they consider it DELIVERED, and you will be OUT of the item AND the money!

Login to Me Too

lionelflyerdave
Contributor
Contributor

What planet are you from, or what have you been taking? That is absolutely incorrect that a buyer "has to prove an item is not as described"!!! Absolutely untrue. I sold on Ebay for almost 10 years before all these insane policy changes were made, which I thought were to force out the 'small time' people like me(until I read the post from the person who does a large amout of money in sales each year that backed me up on this), just an individual trying to sell some extra items to thin out my train collection, I dont sell to make money or because I have to, it is my hobby! I should not have to give a buyer any kind of warranty on a 100 year old toy that has been played with by several generations of children! Anyone can see that giving these buyers of my old trains is a free pass to commit fraud at will, it is not just me, I have spoken to so many other model railroaders like me that used to sell on Ebay and take paypal as payment, who now no longer will sell anything on Ebay and no longer use paypal, it is sad, but you guys did this to us, why it is insane is that even Wal-mart limits how long a buyer can bring an item back for a refund, or exchange, and they are probably the most liberal on return policies out there, but they dont allow 180 days, and they certainly will not accept back an item that has obvioulsy been misused or damaged by the buyer, so why does paypal??? 

When I first started selling and buying on Ebay years ago, I was a big fan of Paypal, and never even complained about fees when others felt they were too high, because you provided a good service, if I had a problem most of the time you helped or at least could explain why things were the way they were, but when they started allowing buyers 45 days to open a dispute and file claims, I had already had it, and stopped selling. Now I see you have enabled the perpetuators of fraud by expanding their window by more than 3 times to the current 180 days, why stop there, why not just give them a year, and why waste time, just refund all buyers money, so they get their items for free? That is where this is all heading, whether you like it or not. 

If I buy a used automobile at the small corner dealership, you know what kind of warranty you get? 10 DAYS OR 1,000 MILES, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST! That is the chance you take when buying anything used, and no one selling used items should be forced to give out free 180 day warranties, it is as simple as that! 

Login to Me Too

temp20180116u
New Community Member
I'm with you. Absolutely unacceptable that despite eBay agreeing that too much time has elapsed for the buyer to return the item or leave feedback, PayPal is forcing the return and refund. It'll probably end up hurting me more than them, but regardless I'm done using PayPal.
Login to Me Too

sumina91
New Community Member

I'm on the same boat w you. The 180 days return policy that Paypal created is totally bs. I lost $2000 for a ebay transaction. The buyer claim that "item not as described" 54 days after it delivered. I sold 2 CPUs for this guy and I bet he used it for a good time then return. Ebay didn't help and refuse to credit the final value fees. I got stuck with a useless CPU now thanks to Paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sumina91

They bought in 180 days as that is the same timeframe that credit card companies give buyers to open disputes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HKB_Techno
Contributor
Contributor

Unfair platform to sell anything via paypal / ebay

Good for the buyer but not for the seller

Login to Me Too

blurays4every1
New Community Member

180 is probably a little too much in general. Mainly there does need to be more regulations on item not as described as any customer can do that and say anything they want. Probably can stay 180 days, but you have like 2 weeks after delivered. Paypal is not great for sellers as they follow the model of the customer is always right as they have the money while us "small business" sellers do not have the money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.