Why would you ask?

bigbird527
New Community Member

I recently tried to purchase an item online, everything went well until I got to the Papal site. Papal asked me for my bank account number even though my account is linked to it,(just to make sure it was me) even  after providing the correct logon info. I have never been asked for this before and am concerned about the security of the site, needless to say I did not give the info, any thoughts?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

phbthh
Contributor
Contributor

paypal and paypal sites will only ever ask you to log in to paypal. they would never ask for your bank account or other sensitive info. That's why you have a log in. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

bigbird527,

Welcome to the boards!

Your caution serves you well, and you have a definite right to be concerned if it's not something you're used to seeing when you log on.  There are some instances where we will ask you to provide additional information about yourself after log in, for the reason you mention - we want to make sure it is you.  There are a number of items we might ask, and re-entering your bank information against what we already have on file is one of  the items we might present. 

For example, when I went out to visit my family earlier in the year, I was a little bored one evening and hopped on eBay to do some shopping.  PayPal asked me to re-enter my card information to make sure it was me logging in from somewhere so far away. 

Generally, spoofing websites will ask for this information before you log in.  Look for your browser security features to show if the page is secure and check the URL to see if it really is PayPal.  If you're still unsure, cancel out of the process and reach out to customer service - they can tell you for certain if we presented a challenge to the log in.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.