Why should I pay return shipping?

Shabina
Contributor
Contributor

Why should I pay the return shipping for an item that is not what I pay for ? I bought earplug 5/8 and the seller sent me the bigger size ! So why should I spend money for someone's error ?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

skatfield
New Community Member

Totally agree. It cost me 50% of my original purchase to return an item that arrived damaged due to inadequate packaging. Now I'm not only out the return shipping but the seller gave the wrong return address. What a run around all put on the buyers shoulders due to the sellers incompetence.

Login to Me Too

utopiaglass
Contributor
Contributor

A good seller would reimburse you for return shipping if it was the seller's error (I would), however, sellers are not obligated to do so.  They would have to voluntarily choose to refund that shipping cost as a form of good customer service, but unfortunately not all sellers are that good at customer service Smiley Wink

I have been in the same position where I had to return something at my cost that arrived damaged clearly as a result of poor packaging.  In this case, even though I was out about $20.00 at least I got some money back. 

You have to decide whether it is worth it or not to return the item.  If return shipping costs more than the item, then obviously it is not worth it to return it.   If this was an eBay sale, then the only recourse you have is to leave appropriate feedback.  Remember when leaving feedback that the lowest number for Detailed Seller Ratings one (1) - not zero!  Zero (0) is a free pass and doesn't affect the seller.  If a seller receives enough low DSRs their selling account could be restricted or could be booted off eBay completely.  You have 60 days to leave feedback.

Although paying for return shipping can be unfair at times, there are people who take advantage of the claim process and return things for no real reason other than they just changed their mind.  In that case, it is not fair that the seller should have to incur the cost for the buyer to return an item because the buyer changed their mind.  The seller is already out the cost of the original shipping that they have to reimburse the buyer when the item is returned. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.