Unauthorized Transaction - Money Transfer To PayPal - Account Hacked

obu
New Community Member

Hello,

It seems my account has been hacked. I haven't used Paypal in years and somehow there are attempts of transferring amounts of $800 and $200 to my PayPal account through my debit bank account. It is through a chequeing transfer,and I live in Canada, therefore, it is taking a long to time process. I have dealt with the $800 process through my bank and they had refunded it for me. But now it is trying to do it with $200 fraudulent transfer which is stil in process, but Paypal isn't letting me doing anything to solve it. 

It is impossible to get a hold of PayPal staff for help and the dispute system is saying it is not a viable transaction to dispute. Probably because it is still in process. Can a PayPal staff please help me with this. I would like to cancel the transaction and my entire PayPal account and remove and association with my bank accounts.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

tservers
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I hoping I'm following you correctly. Forgive me if I'm not.

You said:

I haven't used Paypal in years and somehow there are attempts of transferring amounts of $800 and $200 to my PayPal account through my debit bank account.

So, what you're saying is somehow, money is being transfered from your checking/banking account to your PayPal account?

If the transaction is still "pending", there is nothing you can do until it then reads "completed".

But, I'm hoping I'm understanding this incorrectly because if that's happening the way I'm thinking, then I'd say it's someone that 1)... have your checking account info and 2) someone that have your PayPal account email, which could mean that they have both accounts info.

If you're transferring money from your accounts to yourself and they are going to different countries, I'd expect delays in the completed transaction.

But, if you really feel you should, you can always get a new checking account at your bank with a new number and no one will have it, except PayPal, if you add it to your account.

But, all in all, it's someone that knows your PayPal account email address and checking account info if it's really the way you say it is.

Login to Me Too

RJD101

Please read my message which I just posted.

The best you can do now is to get in touch with your CC companies, bank and etc. and change everything as these criminals obviously have all your ID.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi obu, and welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry to hear that there has been unauthorized access to your PayPal account. You're correct that it's a little more difficult to report unauthorized access when it involves the spoofer adding funds from your bank rather than making purchases. That said, it still should be done ASAP!

If you click "Contact Us" and then select to call Customer Solutions, you can reach a representative who can walk you through all the steps needed to resecure your account and put the wheels in motion to get your funds ironed out.

The way that unauthorized account access most typically happens is one of a few ways:

• If you have a keylogger virus on your computer or have logged in from an unsecure wireless location like an airport or a cafe, your password could have been compromised that way. Run a virus scan and log in from a secure location to change your password.
  • If you clicked a link in a phishing email and furnished information, that info is now compromised. Think back and see if you can remember clicking a link in an email or on a site, followed by a request to log in or provide info.
  • If you used the same password on multiple services and it was compromised on a less secure site, it's not a big leap in logic for a spoofer to see if the same password and email combination works on PayPal or on your online banking. It's vital that you change your password wherever it was used, and use unique passwords going forward. It's easy to understand how daunting it is to use unique passwords on dozens of sites, but I found this article that has some really good tips for creating a password system that will help you create and remember a lot of passwords.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

j3nnifer
New Community Member

Hi, I am also facing a similar problem.

I am currently using my parents' account because I am unable to login with my own.

First off, there were 6 unauthorized transactions, in which I received the email of payment sent.

Secondly, I then received an email from Paypal stating that my account has been "temporary limited" due to suspicious transactions.

So I immediately logged into my account where I was asked to input sensitive information (e.g. credit card number or bank account linked to my account) which I did.  Then, I created a new password but receive a page saying it has expired

Therefore I am unable to:

1)  Report the Case ID number to Paypal

2)  File the 6 unauthorized transactions which were NOT made by me

It's very odd because I can login to my account with my email address and new password BUT I am then immediately taken to the "Create a new password" page with request to the two security questions. After proceeding with another new password I receive the "expired" message again. 

What am I suppose to do?  Please let me know what I can do.  I would like this resolved asap.

Thank you,

Jenn

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.