Sellers overcharging shipping

willow1

So I bought 2 items, paid for shipping, got the item and realized I paid SIX TIMES the actual shipping price. 

So I contacted the seller for a partial refund and asked why the shipping was so high and their response was to pay for paypal and ebay fees and labour fees and whatnot. 

I've been offered a partial refund IF I provide 5 star feedback first otherwise they'll take their chances. 

If I'm not wrong, isn't it completely against ebay policy for them to be making me pay for their fees? Would paypal make them refund me what I want or is this a lost cause? 

Any other similar experiences like this out there? 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

phbthh
Contributor
Contributor

i am an ebay seller and this is more suite for ebay. 

but what the seller is asking is not against ebay rules. I do the same thing. 

5stars and positive feedback are a ridiculous system. if you get 100% positive feedback but low stars, you can actually lose your ability to sell. 

next there are a ton of scammers on ebay. it's a small percentage of the whole, but still there are likely 10s of thousands of them. When a seller gets a vague complaint it's hard not to get the idea you are being played. 

Shipping is preposted, and is allowed to take into consideration packaging costs, delivery, time, etc. It doesn't just include the ship cost. That's why anything AS SEEN ON TV charges a 'shipping and handling' charge. 

You have a right to be upset if you like. It's your money, but you agreed to the shipping when you bought it. 

So the solution. You have complained. The seller knows you may leave poor feedback because you are either a scammer using it as leverage or just an unhappy buyer. The seller has offered a solution., If you are happy with the solution then they are asking you leave 5 stars indicating that all the requirements of the auction were met including the refund amount and you are now happy with it. 

Leave the 5 stars then wait for the refund. 

Honest sellers, in this situation, vastly outnumber dishonest ones. BUT if they don't give you your refund here's what you do., 

Unfortunately, this is how scammers can steal on ebay. 

Put in a claim with paypal, 'item not as described'. Then put in the discount you agreed to. The seller with either pay for it, or you will have to send the product back (send with tracking if you do). Likely you will then get the refund. 

Don't try this, but that's all you have to do to get free money from sellers. Open an 'item not as described' case and make it up (dented, ripped, wrong colour, etc.) then ask for a discount or you will give neg feedback for sending not as described item (this too is ok in ebay)

Login to Me Too

VGMStudios
New Community Member

Willow1 do not listen to that phbthh fool. He doesnt know what he is talking about.

What that seller did you to is extorion and he was breaking Ebay's rules and policies.

If phbthh actually READ ebays rules he would know that it is agaisnt the rules for a seller to charge for his time, labour gas, and any sort of ebay or payapl fees. Also to threaten you like that to leave them 5 star feedback only to give you a refund is wrong as well. Its like you are rewarding a bad seller so they can continue to scam other buyers.

I would of reported him to ebay and leave him negative feedback.

and I suggest phbthh should go and READ Ebays rules before spewing such garbage and misinformation.

Login to Me Too

waystland
New Community Member

it says Exactly how much it will cost to ship.. you see it ... if you did not want to pay for it then dont get it...  you say the final price ...  the seller has to drive to the post office buy boxes packing stuff ect....  you paid shipping AND HANDELLING 

the seller did not "hide" the price  of S/H to you so it is your problem... but ther is NO problem because you agreed to teh cost, just like the as seen on TV stuff,,,, i

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.