Paypal sides with scammers by not reviewing all the evidence!

UHD
Contributor
Contributor

Early this year I made a purchase on ebay (a jacket) which did not arrive,so I open up a dispute in Paypal. Paypal says the seller cannot be reached or something to that effect and suggests that I escalate to a claim which I did.

Now's where Paypal fails us.

After Paypal emailed me saying they've contacted the seller and gave me a tracking number for my item. I looked up the number and it doesn't exist anywhere. A few days later a member of my family signs for a package the size of my hand. Inside was a tiny black gem with a piece of paper that said "lab diamond." I didn't order this. Wtih a sinking feeling in my stomach, I went to match the tracking number from the package to the email that Paypal sent me. Of course it matched.

So now you'd think that Paypal would ask if the item I received was correct (my jacket NOT a gemstone) or if there was any other problems with the item, afterall, "PayPal does not tolerate fraud or illegal activities" and if "you received an item that was significantly different than described" you should open a dispute! Nope. Paypal checks the tracking number which says it was signed for, case closed.

The fact that Paypal does not allow the buyer to provide additional input after escalation is ABSURD. I can only conclude that Paypal merely wants to the give the illusion of buyer protection and wants to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible regardless of what really happend.

I will be following up with my credit card company, I hope they won't have such ludicrous policies.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

babe_ruth
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar story.  My opinion is Paypal's only interest is protecting itself.  I decided to stop using Paypal and go back to using my credit card.  My credit card doesn't give me a hard time if I get scammed.  They just give me my money back.  

Login to Me Too

lcwebmedia
New Community Member

OMG I so aggree. PayPal did the same thing to me. They play with our money and our lives and its because of sellers they are in business, so why treat us like the fraudulent parties... I gave up E Bay when I sold something, they never paid for it so I never sent it and I escalated to get paid cause when you bid on something, your suppose to pay it, but no Paypal sided with the person that did not pay and would not allow me to add negative feedback. So I gave up Ebay / Paypal.

Now I have a hosting customer since 2009 that added by himself without me asking an automatic payment in 2010 for the amount of the hosting. Every year I would get payment, renew the domain name and everythign was dandy. But this year, he claimed a fraudulent activity. Paypal can see who iniated the payment, and I gave the dates and all, but they sided with him. So I renewed his domain that is NON REFUNDABLE and I am stuck with it.

SO to anyone that reads ! DO NOT TRUST YOUR BUSINESS with these crooks. Find another processor!

Login to Me Too

dave_sloss
New Community Member

Paypal also sides with the seller on currency exchange.

I contacted Paypal about the exchange rate between US and Canada. I found that there 2.5% difference just found out that I pay the 2.5% even if the Canadian $ is higher. So to me I have lost a lot of money in exchange rates as well as the so called free trade agreement. Canadians are not soposd to pay duty on American made items.

Its Paypal that does not let you foot the extra %. SO who is the scammed? Sellers?Buyers?Customs? Paypal?

So all in all I am tired of taking it in the wallet. I may not use Paypal, nor buy from the US. Getting hit from to many directions.

I have purchased over 100 items on ebay and payed with Paypal . Maybe its time to not use Ebay as well.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.