New eBay member wants to pay with his friend's credit card and ship elsewhere.

Regaz
New Community Member

I am an eBay seller located in Canada and I have a new user that is registered in Mexico but wants me to ship to the US. He says it's easier to just drive over to Texas and pick up the item at his friend's address.

Today he contacted me and told me he's having a problem with his credit card and his friend will pay me through PayPal with his credit card. His friend is also a new user with zero auctions and zero feedback.

I'm concerned that they will just do a chargeback or use a fraudulent card.

Should I contact eBay? PayPal? Am I still protected by PayPal's insurance?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

utopiaglass
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Regaz. 

I would be very leery of a situation like this.  If you do not ship to the buyer's PayPal address and the buyer claims that he did not recieve the package, you will have to give him his money back.  You could tell him you don't feel comfortable proceeding in this manner and offer to send a mutual cancellation (in which case he can leave feedback for you which may not be good).  The other option is to start the process for nonpayment which will result in a strike against him - seriously if you bid and win/buy something you should have the funds to pay for it, not scramble to figure out how to pay for it after the fact. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.