Do I have to refund international shipping

firefly40
Contributor
Contributor

I recently shipped an order to the UK. The customer had requested that I send it to a different address than what is listed on her Paypal because she is moving. I complied. The order arrived to the new address, but she hadn't moved in yet and the other occupants sent it back. The parcel is now on its way back to me. I spent $24 to ship that parcel to the address she specified. We haven't discussed a refund yet, but I'm wondering if I am obligated to refund the $24 for shipping since I did exactly as she requested. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@firefly40

If she files for non receipt of item then the ONLY evidence paypal accept from you is a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to her 'paypal registered address', no tracking then you have to give a full refund.

You should NEVER send it to a non-registered paypal address as you lose your seller protection.

You should have asked her to add a 'gift address' to her paypal account and then paid selecting that address and then it would have showed an attempted delivery to that address and you may have been covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@firefly40

If she files for non receipt of item then the ONLY evidence paypal accept from you is a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to her 'paypal registered address', no tracking then you have to give a full refund.

You should NEVER send it to a non-registered paypal address as you lose your seller protection.

You should have asked her to add a 'gift address' to her paypal account and then paid selecting that address and then it would have showed an attempted delivery to that address and you may have been covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

did you ask her if she wants you to ship again?

if so,then ask her for $24 .

there may be a way to resent without paying new postage if you do not open the package.

I know it works for domestic shipment if you do not open the package,would it work for overseas,you can ask your postman .

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

if she did not file dispute or ask you to resent,then just refund her the item cost only.

say nothing more,it is her fault.

it would be hard to open a case of item not received if she has already receive the lion share of the payment.

you never know/

Login to Me Too

firefly40
Contributor
Contributor

She says she'd like me to resend it when it arrives and to let her know if she needs to repay for shipping. I am still waiting for her to tell me where I should send it to this time. If it's to the same address as before, hopefully I'll be able to resend it with the same postage. It's in a bubble mailer, so I don't know how long that will hold up after going across the globe multiple times. 

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

she will have to add whatever address she wants you to ship to in her paypal account.

to get Paypal seller protection,you get this email from Paypal ,pay attention to

-if item is eligible for seller protection

-you must ship to the address in that paypal notice.

IF THe address is blank,do not ship.

some seller lost a $45k watch when buyer left the shipping addres blank but in the comment section,give the shipping address,then file item not received and WON. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.