Can you get scammed by providing PayPal email address?

feminicity
Contributor
Contributor

I responded to an email I received from someone who wanted to buy an item I posted online.  I felt it was a scam, so I responded to their email, and now I'm worried that I could get scammed since they have my PayPal email address.  Can anyone answer this, I'm a bit worried now?!!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

feminicity -

I can definitely understand your concern.  Your information is safe with PayPal - if someone knows the email address you use to log in to PayPal, you're still secure unless you've provided them other sensitive personal information, such as your financial information, password, or security questions.  PayPal monitors access and attempted access to all of our accounts closely, so if anything does seem unusual, we'll be watching and we'll let you know.  On top of that, we use state of the art technologies to detect and prevent fraud, have dedicated teams of review agents, and PayPal itself has never been hacked.  Even if someone does gain access to your account, we offer 100% protection against unauthorized transactions.

In the meantime, if you want to go the extra mile, one action you could consider would be switching out the email address you use for PayPal.  Just add the new email address, confirm it, and then make it your primary.  After that, just remove your old one.  They can't try to guess your password if the email address doesn't go to any account Smiley Very Happy

Thanks,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.