Can't get refund from unauthorized transaction.

ryanp22
Contributor
Contributor

Recently someone used my account and paid themselves a substantial amount of money. I opened a claim and it was found in my favour. However after about a week of waiting for the refund to my credit card I got an email from paypal saying that the seller has insufficient funds to give me the refund of what he took from me. They then told me to contact the seller directly to arrange the refund. I think this is wrong for me to have to contact the person who stole from me. 

Any thoughts out there on how I should proceed??

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

ryanp2 -

Welcome to the Community!

No, you're right - if we agreed with you that this was unauhtorised activity, we shouldn't be asking you to pursue the seller for a failed refund.  In cases like these, were the seller authorizes a refund, but the refund fails, one of our fraud agents will come back through and make sure you receive the refund.

Usually, they're fairly prompt about this.  If you haven't checked lately, I would urge you to log in and review your History for any updates on the payment. Let us know!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

ryanp22
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Adrian,

It looks like the refund came from PayPal today. Now I just have to wait a few days for it to appear on my credit card.

Thanks for the help!

Ryan

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

ryanp22 -

That's great news!  When PayPal refunds back to a card, we send those funds immediately.  Most card issuers take a 2-7 days to process a credit, but some can take up to 30 days (the exact timeframe is determined by the card company and their own policies).  If you've never had a credit issued back to your card before and you're curious, I would give them a ring to see how long they take to process credits.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.