scam attempt with car sale

sechuanec
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car on Gumtree and was contacted about it via text messages, below is the last one. I got suspicious about someone not having a bank app so when start googling, exact same message was reported here in 2020 as well as a couple more with same principal. All of them are now archived so I'm posting this to bring the alert back online, in hope it will help someone.

Please read:

Sounds good to me & thank you for the information you have given. I've been able to make use of the registration number to check the past history of the car which I'm satisfied with & I'm more than happy to proceed on with the transaction.. Sadly, I won't be able to come for inspection, test drive & pay cash myself... I'm a disable man & I'm on a wheelchair... This is why I've asked questions about the condition of the vehicle. Also, If I can trust you with your words toward the details you have given about it & if I can make a transfer of the fund to you. I'll arrange pickup at your location after payment is made & cleared. The courier driver will pick up at your desired location to my daughter's home(Jennifer's home, 1st class Treatment With Trailer).
I do not have online mobile banking app to bank transfer funds. This is why I've said I'll be able to make payment via paypal as I see Paypal payment to be the best, fast & secured means to make payment since I won't be there myself to pay cash.

NOTE:
The courier driver will on my behalf handle the title, change of ownership & all other necessary documents(SALES AGREEMENT). Also, we'll fill the document online via DVLA website. Kindly please get back to me with the below details to make payment to your account & I'll get the courier informed as well to prepare all necessary document.

Details Needed For Paypal Payment:
1)Your name
2)Your paypal email address
3)Pickup location address

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

lily065
New Community Member

Thank you for sharing this. We typed in one sentence from the scam we received into google and matched almost identically with this one. Seemed like it was too good to be true, and with some weird grammatical choices we knew it wasn't genuine. 

See below our version of the scam: 

Thank you for the details you have given about the car... I'm 100% OK with the details you have given & with what I've read online, I'm more than happy to proceed on with the transaction..

Sadly, I won't be able to come for inspection & pay cash. I'm a disabled man & I'm on a wheelchair... I'll arrange pickup at your location after payment is made & cleared. I do not have an online mobile banking app to bank transfer funds but I'm happy to pay via paypal & I wait for funds to clear out before picking up the car. I see Paypal payment to be the best, fast & secured means to make payment since I won't be there myself to pay cash.

Kindly please get back to me with the below details to make payment to your account & I'll get the courier informed as well about the pick up.

1) Your name

2) Your paypal email address

3) Pickup location address

Login to Me Too

Bibo1965
New Community Member

Thank you for sharing this. I googled one sentence from the scam and surprisingly received your experience. Seemed like it was too good to be true, and with some weird grammatical choices we knew it wasn't genuine. 

Please read:

(((( Thank you for the information you have given about the car. I'm more than happy to proceed on with the transaction... Sadly, I won't be able to come for inspection, test drive & pay cash myself... I'm a disabled man & I'm on a wheelchair... This is why I've asked questions about the condition of the vehicle. Also, If I can trust you with your words toward the details you have given about it & I can make a transfer of the fund to you. I'll arrange pickup at your desired location after payment is made & cleared with the recovery company. They will be able to pick up at your desired location to Jennifer's home(1st class Treatment With Trailer). I do not have online banking. This is why I've asked to make the payment via paypal. I do not have online banking. This is why I ask to make payment via paypal as I see Paypal payment to be the best & secured means to make payment since I won't be there myself to pay cash & for security purposes.
NOTE:
The transport company will on my behalf handle the title, change of ownership & all other necessary documents with you at DVLA where you both fill the vehicle particulars & sign sales agreement. Kindly please get back to me with the below details as for me to make payment to your account & as for me to get the recovery agent informed & prepared to pick up after you confirm payment

1)Your name
2)Your paypal email address
3)Pickup location address
4)Your mobile number
Kindly please delete the advert from the site now as I'm ready to make payment to your account as soon as you get back to me with the information requested... Note: The car will only be picked up after money is paid & cleared in your bank account.
Regards,
Anil ))))

Login to Me Too

Temp20231207A

My sister in law wanted to sell her 4wd on Gumtree and nearly fell for this scammer. I suspected this to be to good. I found PayPal reports which are almost word for word what other people have received.

Sent: Friday, 1 December 2023 10:02 PM
To: Jan
Subject: Re: Foton.

Thanks for your response, where is it located at the moment? Why are you selling it? What's your final price? Does it need anything to be replaced or repaired? I'm cool with the condition as described on the advert.I work on a remote mine site presently. and the reception is terrible. We do not have access to a phone at the moment, which is why I contacted you with an internet messaging facility.   

Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal linked up with my Nab bank account,please get back to me with your PayPal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb acct name and number if you have no PayPal acct.

I have also contacted my courier who will come to pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your account. As regards the papers, all I will need is a receipt, the rego will have to be done in NT Darwin at my place of residence, so there will be no use for the existing Reg and RWC and i can buy it Unregistered  

Cheers Darren [Removed]

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Temp20231207A and everyone! 

Welcome! Thanks for visiting the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry to hear about the similar emails you or your family have received, but I'm relieved to hear you all determined they were not from legitimate buyers. If you still have the emails, please review this Help Center article for details on how to report them. When you have a few minutes, I also suggest visiting this US Help Center article to learn more about common scams. The information applies to everyone, even though it's a US-based article. 

Stay safe! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.