is paypal even interested in protecting against fraud

Daffiedoe
Contributor
Contributor

I have a frustrating long case that is on the very cusp of going to suit. Dates back to April and is from an order(s) made for 137 shirts as indicated on paypal money sent to scammer in California. Immediately upon finding out the items were going to be sent from China we alerted Paypal and tried to stop, freeze and cancel transaction. Before buyer had even processed the order for shipping. They declined, forcing us to sit back and allow the fraud to happen. I completely suspected fake items since it was coming out of china so I called and alerted customs. They confiscated 2 shipments to which we got our money back from. The 3rd was never sent. I'm not sure why but now since the scammer knew we suspected fraud he double down. This time sending a package for this order. Looking at the incoming detail from Fedex I could clearly tell it wasnt 137 shirts as it was just one pound in weight. Which was obvious to me they needed something to get through so tracking would confirm a success. All of this being relayed to paypal on the fly. Again as much as he was creative we were on to him for the most part. At shipment arrival date we were prepared with video recording accepting the package, making extra sure we captured all the information on the package. Then opening it all on one unedited continuous clip for proof. Paypal still doesnt do anything but ask us to return it. They provide an address I can only assume was providing by the scammer. USPS said right from the start that it was not a good addy. But we had to send it anyways. That was 60 days ago and tracking stopped at our customs. China doesnt have to give squat. Paypal closed the case in buyers favor 6 or more times forcing us to scramble to the phone to explain that we've done what they asked of us. Why are we being held responsible for doing jsut that. Luckily a last ditch lucky shot call we had made 30 days ago go to someone at usps that ran a detailed trace with in China. We got a letter in the mail from the USPS stating the package was coming back address is no good. We were excited to finally have this come to an end. We uploaded the letter, spent two hours on the phone with paypal getting them to once again open our $3600 claim up so we could provide the proof. Then, eagerly wait to hear it was finally over.

Then an email we are so familar with comes in telling us our dispuite has been closed once again in favor of the scammer! Stating we havent provided proof of returning the package. 

I mean WTF?! Really, the bar for scamming paypal customers is so low that all you have to do is give bogus return addresses and poof all your scams are guaranteed? So frustrating!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Daffiedoe 

Appeal to a human, the decision. You have to understand, it’s obvious the decision was automated following a set of parameters. If the computer sees no proof of return delivery? Bam, case closed against the buyer. If they fail to budge on appeal, you are free to file a credit card chargeback whose dispute terms are broader than PayPal’s. File chargeback as not as described and the seller won’t be covered by PayPal seller protection so they will be liable for the amount.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Daffiedoe
Contributor
Contributor

I wish it were that easy. Everything before this has always been line by line as you said. We lived by paypal rules. But unfortutely this time the rails came off and none of that is working. Ive talk to humans nonstop, atleast 3 dozen of them. Customer service ones all state its crazy and if they had been making the calls we wouldnt be in this mess. Back door decision makers have taken a nonstop chartered flight into crazy every step of the way. 

Last, since the money was bank ACH instead of through my credit card non of those charge back protections come into play. Chase literally shuts me down as soon as they hear paypal and see ACH. Maybe they need to be apart of the litigation as well. I dont know, I'll address that with my attorney in the morning. 

Login to Me Too

Daffiedoe
Contributor
Contributor

Now I've asked for all my messages pertaining to the case. They not only stopped replying to me. They also scrubbed all messages that I did have access to. As well as completely removed my disputes from view. 

Remember paypal has this in writing below there message center, "Messages are available in the Message Center for 90 days from the day originally sent. If you would like a copy of any messages prior to that timeframe, please contact us." 

Which apparently only means if they feel like it. These people are crooks, shameless crooks. 

Login to Me Too

Daffiedoe
Contributor
Contributor

Case update. Looks like I'll be saving money on a lawyer. Based on recommendation from attrney going small claims route followedby Attorney General, CFPB and BBB. The latter to which has no teeth but I'll already have it all typed up so I'll send anyways. That goes for news stations both inb my home area and theres.

Login to Me Too

bigsky56
New Community Member

how do you get thru the system to even talk with a Human?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.