is 163.com address a scam?

barbc49
Contributor
Contributor
  • Last week I placed an order and paid using PayPal, the order never returned to the order page to complete the transaction. The address on the resulting invoice ends in <removed>. Have emailed the seller several times, no response.  I am concerned that this is a scam.
Login to Me Too
191 REPLIES 191

2005rayland
New Community Member
Samething happened to me. Pay pal denied my claim because it shows to have been delivered which it was NOT.
Login to Me Too

alisonm69w
Contributor
Contributor

Sellers email ends in 163.com. 

I ordered from https://www.ddangxuan.com some figurines, just after Christmas. I didn’t receive any email confirmation of my order and, indeed, messaged the site as I was concerned my order hadn’t gone through.  I spent $49.50.  When my items hadn’t arrived, I raised a dispute with PayPal and was waiting for that to be resolved.  During the process, the seller added tracking.  I was shocked! I hadn’t received my items, yet they had tracking proving I had!  I couldn’t understand.  Then it dawned on me...a week or so after my order, an envelope had arrived with a tiny piece of wire in it. The package was minute and weighed just 8g.  I hadn’t connected this letter with my ordered figurines, and just put it to one side, thinking no more of it.  When the seller added tracking to my dispute, the penny dropped!! I realised how I’d been scammed.  The website advertises items much cheaper than retail...the items most likely don’t exist.  They then mail a tiny package, in order to have tracking, and pocket the purchase money. If a dispute is raised, they simply provide proof of posting.  I’ve explained, many times, in great detail to PayPal, but to no avail.  They’ve said I will be refunded, when the seller receives the item they sent me, back.  So, today, I’ve posted back to China the small envelope, containing the wire, and I wait.  If the seller doesn’t confirm or acknowledge receipt of the wire, then will PayPal refuse to refund? I’m normally an astute buyer, but let my guard down on this one, because I wrongly assumed by paying with PayPal I’d be protected. I feel so let down and distressed over this.

Login to Me Too

Nanaclint
Contributor
Contributor

How much was your shipping charge to return an item to China.

Login to Me Too

zmgit
Contributor
Contributor
163.com isn't a scam. It's a legit Chinese website (NetEase). Just like there are scammers that use Gmail, Yahoo, etc., there are scammers on Chinese websites as well. I use my 163 account for gaming purposes. That being said the email you received and or purchase you made were likely scams.
Login to Me Too

Den309
Contributor
Contributor
Is there anyway to resolve this? I have been scammed as well
Login to Me Too

alisonm69w
Contributor
Contributor

File a claim with PayPal. I did, and they decided in my favour. 

Login to Me Too

Cjcr1999
I am not getting anywhere with PP on a dispute. Charges are disputing everyday! They deny the claim.
Login to Me Too

JenRut88

I'm working on my dispute now. Seller gave PP a UPS tracking number so I contacted UPS via Live Chat. They show the item as delivered but NOT to my address and NOT to my name. This scammer pulled a UPS tracking number for my same city that was shipped from Amazon.com. I have added the UPS transcript of their customer service stating it is a scam and the information doesn't match. I, too, ordered a much larger item that was over 30lbs but UPS shows an item of 6lbs was delivered.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Temp20230525GL
Contributor
Contributor
File claim and dispute the charge. Even if they have a proof of delivery. They sent a piece of mail instead of the stand I ordered. USPS had the delivery receipt but how you could put a 40 lb. Box in a mail box is interesting. They refunded every penny
Login to Me Too

gunser
Contributor
Contributor
Ups has mine posted as delivered. What they "delivered" was a 1 pound item. My order was a kayak - 50 pds. PayPal denied my claim because ups states it's been delivered.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.