how to get scammers blocked?

joesurf433
Contributor
Contributor

I have been scammed by a Paypal user through the friends and family service. I have contacted Paypal and have not been able to

get them to block this scammer from continuing to scam people. It seems Paypal does not want to stop scammers. Is there anything I can do?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

drasmusan
Contributor
Contributor

It isn't about victim shaming-geez    My comment was that their should be something to tell customers not to use the Friends etc.. because etc...   I did not know that at the time   thank you

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@drasmusan 

There is, as I have already posted above.

There is a warning, when you click to send money it gives you 2 options, one states ''buyer protection available'' the other one does not.

Also the clue is in the name, if they are not a close mate or family member then you don't use it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

drasmusan
Contributor
Contributor

I probably did   but I don't do a lot of business on here    Plus when you think you have checked and rechecked a person you follow the directions-which they were specifying to use friends and family--Naivety I guess   sorry

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@drasmusan 

Don't forget if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card you ?may be successful with your credit card issuer?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

joesurf433
Contributor
Contributor

so if the credit card company is successful in getting a refund, will Paypal then take down the scammer's account?

Login to Me Too

joesurf433
Contributor
Contributor

It's not you that's victim shaming. It's Paypal. They blame users for getting scammed and refuse to block scammers that operate on their platform using Friends and Family.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@joesurf433 

To be honest its unlikely that you would win with a credit card as they will also see it as a 'gift' payment and not as a payment for goods/services but its worth a shot.

And no the card company have no power over shutting down someone's Paypal account.

But if the 'scammer' gets a lot of claims against them then there account would be at risk of limitation.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.