chargeback? dispute? help?

everyoneisaclou
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, i dont get whats the difference between a chargeback and a dispute. Im a paypal newbie. Someone sent me money by accident and i got in the email today that i need to pay back $32 (originally 30). Theres an open case and it says "sent money to the wrong person" and something like that. case number is PP-D-157399359. Now the real question is there any "hidden" fees included in the payment during d-day? or should i just pay $32?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@everyoneisaclou 

Refunding is free. You just do not get back the PayPal fees you originally paid so you have to make up the difference to issue a full refund. For instance, you receive $5. PayPal takes $0.66 in fees, you get $4.34. You issue a refund in full and PayPal takes the whole $5 from your account. Where appropriate, say the wrong amount was sent in buyer’s error, you may consider only refunding the $4.34. Then the $0.66 won’t be taken from your account.

If you lose a PayPal dispute/claim, you will not receive a refund of the PayPal fees that you paid in connection with the transaction. If you win the case you don’t get a refund of the fees either, you receive the net amount back.

A ‘chargeback’ or ‘bank reversal’ refers to buyer disputing the charge directly through their card issuer or bank, not using PayPal’s buyer protection program/dispute resolution system. PayPal will still open a dispute case in your account to administer the chargeback or bank reversal.

A ‘dispute’ refers to PayPal dispute filed from your PayPal account. A PayPal dispute can be escalated to a PayPal claim where PayPal steps in to resolve the case.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.