car sale on gumtree - SCAM!!!

agneskpl
Contributor
Contributor

been sent a txt asking to reply via email as found it easier - the name is <melisaanne>

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son, So can you assure me,I will not be disappointed? Meanwhile i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location.
Regarding the payment I can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email,Phone Number and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Awaiting your reply soon...

as insisted on paypal ONLY and rushed out i googled the email address that brought me to paypal community where i got my guts confirmed - SCAM - not the first like that
now i know - ALWAYS google the email address, website address or telephone number - yes - found her number on google reported as used for scam
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@agneskpl 

Yep been ongoing for years, glad you were not caught out.

Pointless reporting really as they use hijacked or throwaway i.d.'s and email addresses and work out of an internet cafe in somewhere like Africa.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@agneskpl 

Yep been ongoing for years, glad you were not caught out.

Pointless reporting really as they use hijacked or throwaway i.d.'s and email addresses and work out of an internet cafe in somewhere like Africa.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

agneskpl
Contributor
Contributor

later during the day 2 more txts 

hi, is the car still on sale? pls msg me on.... (email address)

jenniferannie

and

davidavoc

we can build a base of names that will pop up when googled 😄

Login to Me Too

Kay130
New Community Member
Jennifer and David emailed me today.. told them to go away!
Login to Me Too

Kay130
New Community Member
Put a car ad on gumtree yesterday.. 3 exact responses.. disabled, courier PayPal, take the advert off.. grrrrr!
Login to Me Too

GS1961
New Community Member

Yes, Same happened to me today, so it is still going on. June 2021

Login to Me Too

Kalakota
Contributor
Contributor
Alright, I'm interested in the car & ready to buy. I'm buying it for my daughter as a surprise birthday gift asap. Also, to assist her with the new job. Pls, have got some few questions to ask before proceeding 1) What's your final price? 2) What's the reason for selling? 3) Is there any mechanical fault? 4) Can I've the Registration Number to run check about the past history? 5) Do you accept Paypal payment? Please kindly get back to me with full information about the vehicle as I'm ready to buy immediately. Anil
Login to Me Too

Cpefc98
New Community Member
Had exactly the same 10 minutes after add being posted exact same name and strange questions
Login to Me Too

Kalakota
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Do you still have the posted car advert on gumtree available for sale? Kindly pls reply me back via email: <removed> Thank you, Anil

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.