cancel account PayPal supporting scammers

Silver2020
Contributor
Contributor

After using PayPal since 2005, I decided to cancel my account. Why? PayPal is advertising that they would protect us von fraudsters and scammers. In the end - PayPal is actually supporting them actively!  I did buy 2 phones advertised as Snapdragon 888, 64MP camera, Android 12 and got MediaTek 6580, 8MP, Android 8 phones. The display is ridiculous too. I filed for full refund. What does PayPal do? Helping the scammers!!! "Please send the items back." Does PayPal actually realizes that shipping a parcel to China will cost around $80. Wo will pay that? PayPal: You have to pay! Seriously? Fraudulent products must be destroyed and not kept in a circle of e-business! But PayPal doesn't give a **bleep** about honest people. PayPal actively supports this gangsters! And now I like to cancel my account and can't even do that because PayPal put a block on customers who like to cancel accounts! "Contact Support" Sorry PayPal. I DO NOT SUPPORT COMPANIES who actively support scammers and fraudsters! I like to get a full refund like you should as you "protect" buyers - or let me cancel my account. PayPal did go from a serious company over to be a criminal member of the Chinese scammer gangs! 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Silver2020 

Well that is exactly what they tell you in their buyer protection policy for you to read and risk assess your transactions.

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ratylird
Contributor
Contributor
I’ll be closing both my personal and business accounts with PayPal too. I recently purchased a counterfeit guitar. I reported it to the seller, the selling platform and PayPal and not one person was willing to help. I got the serial number off the back and found that that number belonged to a completely different guitar. The artist signature also didn’t match. The best I was offered was a laughable £18 partial refund. Was never asked to return the item by any of the companies listed above. PayPal haven’t even bothered to investigate as they told me in the first reply that they hadn’t reached out to the other company as “guitars aren’t covered in their guarantee”, even after me giving a lot of proof that it was counterfeit. My last resort now is my bank, if they can’t get me the refund then I’m lost with what else to do. I’m so disgusted by the behaviour of these companies that boast to protect your money for counterfeits. Pathetic!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ratylird 

Paypal covers you for non receipt of item OR item received but significantly not as described.

You paid for a guitar and received a guitar and Paypal do not get involved in quality issues. 

To win a dispute for SNAD you would need to provide written proof from a store that sells the genuine item OR the company that makes the item.

Even then if you bought the item from China or similar you may still lose as its not against the law to sell fakes in China.

If they are in the UK then Paypal does not stop you pursuing your own legal action against the seller ie the small claims court. That is easy to do online to start the process.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ratylird
Contributor
Contributor
Well I did receive something that is significantly not as described as the guitar doesn’t work! But again, no help from PayPal. I’ve sent proof of everything and they’re not willing to help. I’ve now contacted Fender so hopefully their involvement will get it sorted. Either way I’m closing both my accounts
Login to Me Too

ade199

I am seriously thinking of doing the same, tired of their **bleep** and uneducated customer service. The agent I spoke to about a person claiming not to have received a package after they've signed it, couldn't be bothered. Like seriously? How are seller protected? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.