can I be scammed as the seller in this situation?

3kgtaddict
Contributor
Contributor

hello all, im selling an item on facebook and im just wondering if i should sell to this person or if its a scam!!!

this is the msg they sent..

"Okay I’m paying via zelle but my oldest son will have to pick it up because I won’t be available but I will be paying for it"

I told them i dont have zelle but they could pay via paypal (i read an article saying to use something safer like paypal as opposed to zelle)

they said paypal is fine and asked for my paypal name..

asking to use zelle seemed like a red flag but they are willing to use paypal so is this a potentially safe transaction? 

any help is greatly appreciated!!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@3kgtaddict 

There are limitations to PayPal Seller Protection, best to read it:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/seller-protection

You should also read the purchase protection program as they can affect your protection as seller:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/buyer-protection

Quickly, PayPal Seller Protection does not cover pick ups in person unless goods and services QR code is used. If you’re not familiar with how to use QR Codes, nor want to read all the rules, you’re better off with just accepting cash in person in front of a police station. Otherwise, ship the item to shipping address on the payment details with trackable service (ie. USPS) to have proof of delivery. If the grand total of purchase, including shipping/handling is over $750 USD, use signature confirmation in addition to tracking. Be sure to enter tracking number into the transaction details to get the payment released sooner if payment is subject to PayPal’s 21 day hold. PayPal Seller Protection also doesn’t cover ‘significantly not as described’ disputes unless there’s clear buyer’s remorse, warranty issue after some use as the cause. The buyer also has credit card chargeback or bank reversal rights if they fail to win a PayPal dispute.

Send buyer a PayPal invoice, instead of leaving it up to the buyer to select between friends and family or goods and services payment types. If buyer sends a friends and family payment, seller and buyer protection does not apply and buyer can fall back on their credit card chargeback or bank reversal to get a refund which are decided by the card or bank, not PayPal.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.