bogus invoices

jmelson
Contributor
Contributor

Two days in a row I received invoices for significant amounts from users I have never heard of.  Is this becoming a big problem at PayPal?  This hs never happened before.

Thanks,

Jon

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

mellyqueen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I got one this morning myself and it's not something I purchased or would even consider.  I came here looking for anyone else so it looks like it's not just me.  I am wondering how we can get these removed from our accounts?  Paypal has not responded to anything yet.  

Login to Me Too

Larry1964
Contributor
Contributor

Same happened to me, two in successive days. Obviously not going to press 'pay' but these 'invoices' are still showing in my dashboard as 'pending'. Annoying that you can't automatically delete them. Looks like they have been created using genuine PayPal tools, which makes it hard to know what to do. I have tried PayPal Help chat but they keep diverting me to the standard FAQs.

Login to Me Too

TS17
Contributor
Contributor

I just received an invoice for $399 from a Timothy [removed].  No other details.

Login to Me Too

BarneyMac
Contributor
Contributor

I got an invoice from a company called "Coffee Shop" with the owner details "KALEENA [removed], [removed], Coffeyville, KS 67337, USA" for "A1 True Wireless Earbuds with Life Q20 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones" at a cost of $197.

I tried to report it using the self-service online system only to get the following message

"Unable to complete your request - We’re sorry, you can’t file a case on this type of transaction. Please refer to our User Agreement for more details."

I went to the User Agreement and obviously it said nothing about this. I tried calling the Customer Services number only to get a stupid automated voice telling me that they were only open on Mondays thru Fridays from 8am to 630pm.

I have lodged a complaint about the fact that Paypal don't even have an emergency "out of hours" number for situations like this....you know, like normal bank/credit card accounts.

Login to Me Too

bakerdan
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same issue.

Looks like it's a scam and no money will be taken unless you actually pay the invoice.

https://www.buffalo.edu/ubit/news/article.host.html/content/shared/www/ubit/news/2022/paypal-invoice...

Login to Me Too

tentaro
Contributor
Contributor

Yea I received one on the 9th  from Meyer saying $499 for bitcoin. I never even tried to buy bitcoin and I certainly didn't use some service I never heard of to do it, even if I would have thought about it. It seems really odd that people are getting so many scams all around the same time frame. I wonder if Paypal will actually do anything about it. I tried to cancel it and it says it is no longer available but I go back and it is still there.

Login to Me Too

neecee23
New Community Member

Same here, I got 3 invoices for $499 for bitcoin from Mandy. There was no way to report this to Paypal through the app at all. Found out by using Google that I had to log in on my computer and could remove them. Now they still show up as pending in the dashboard but removed when clicking on them. I guess Paypal took care of it, but not happy that this could happen with no way to dispute a fake invoice. Be better Paypal!

Login to Me Too

BarneyMac
Contributor
Contributor
So I spoke with Customer Services this morning. They are aware of all these bogus invoices and reassured me that mine was flagged up to investigate the sender. Also, because it is an request for payment, as long as I do nothing and ignore it - no communication with the sender, no clicking on the "Pay Now" link, etc. - then no money would be debited from my account. My suggestion would be to call Customer Services and speak with an agent personally to make the complaint.
Login to Me Too

Larry1964
Contributor
Contributor
Cheers for that
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.