banned account due to being under 18 but with a credit account?

andrf99
New Community Member

A friend of mine sent me a large sum of money from her Amex card to my paypal so that I could purchase some furniture from her using my card due to the vendor not taking Amex. She had accidentally sent the money by a different transaction as apposed to friends and family. I called paypal to ask why the money was held up and was told I needed to verify my account through means of ID. I submitted my passport and was then told my account had been banned due to it being opened in 2012 when I was 17. 

I understand this breaches their T&Cs, however, I opened a paypal credit account in 2019. I had a hard credit check done and was accepted for credit. They would have had my age then and could have chosen to close the account then if it had been 'illegally opened'. How can this be? They've also said it can take up to 180 days to get the money back, is there any way of speeding this up?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@andrf99 

No. Instead, get your friend to open a item not received dispute in the PayPal Resolution Center on the transaction to get her money back. Don’t respond to the case and PayPal will refund sender eventually.

Discuss with PayPal the possibility of opening a new account since you are of age now and the status of your PayPal Credit account:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/contact-us      

Click “Call Us” option on the bottom.   
Click “call us as guest” link to speak with a live agent to broach the subject so that you’re not automatically blocked from accessing customer service due to having a banned account

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter:    

PayPal on Facebook

PayPal on Twitter

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.