Why does Paypal support scammers

Saranity
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item from a website back in November. The merchant apparently put my transaction through as a cash advance, so my credit card company hit me for an extra $10. Then the seller provided a USPS tracking number, that was issued prior to my purchase, and that was never associated with my address. It's a real tracking number, but not for my merchandise or my address. Worse still, when I go back to that website, I find that they're rotating payments though a bunch of different Paypal accounts, presumably scamming more people. 

I told Paypal about all of this when I filed a claim against the seller. They denied my claim because the tracking number shows as delivered. Paypal either doesn't care or doesn't understand that items shipped before being purchased will never arrive. I offered to show them my Informed Delivery account, which shows every tracking number associated with my address. Or even the security cam footage of the mailman making his delivery on the day in question, with no packages. They don't care. 

I've also filed a report with the Postal Police, but there probably won't be much they can do.  I guess my next stop will be with my credit card, to dispute the charge. if anybody else has suggestions on how to get Paypal to take appropriate action, I'm ready to hear it. As a side note, I can't even appeal the denial becuase the claim doesn't show up in my resolution center. It shows zero cases and zero closed cases. I tried searching by the case number too and nothing came up. 

Merry Christmas Paypal. 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

utin2673
New Community Member

I think I'm going through a similar situation.  I purchased an item online, using paypal but after the payment, the status order is completed as if I got the item already.  There is nothing I can do and paypal won't help.  The amount doesn't matter but to realize that you've been doing a scam transaction is not cool.  

Login to Me Too

Saranity
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to dispute it with my credit card company, but I don't know if they'll help or if I'm just going to be out the $110. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Saranity 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Saranity
Contributor
Contributor

I'm amused that you think someone can just simply "ring" Paypal. They don't publish phone numbers or e-mail addresses. The best you can do is "chat" with them. You also clearly did not read my post, as I explained why they made it impossible to APPEAL to them. 

What I did finally do is light them up on Twitter, which engages actual customer service humans. Those humans actually read when I sent and refunded my $99. I have to wait and see if my credit card company will refund the $10 "cash advance" fee. 

So yes, the solution is to interact with a human, but they make it nearly impossible to do so. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Saranity 

Wrong they do give out phone numbers and many, many folks on here have followed my advice, phoned them and gotten a refund.

You can certainly use Twitter and Facebook but often phoning is quicker which is why I advise it as a first option.

And yes I did read your post and that is why I posted on how to APPEAL.

So, you're welcome but will happily add you to my list of names NOT to get a reply in the future.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bobanna1969
Contributor
Contributor

[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]is the number for Paypal Customer service

Login to Me Too

ThePegster
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, I feel your pain. This has hay to me as well. They just don’t care.
Login to Me Too

edgardias
New Community Member

Paypal is useless . I will not trust 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.