Why do I need a google play card?

GeminiNette
Contributor
Contributor
No I downloaded the app maked an account gave the person my email PayPal name. I got a notification email of the Erwin sent the money but it’s says something about they security and I gotta pay a $50 google play card .
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GeminiNette 

Still, it sounds like a scam. PayPal does not require you to buy a gift card for security reasons. It will ask you to add a debit or credit card so you can make payment with but to receive payment, buying a gift card for security is not required and makes no sense at all. Perhaps the person you're dealing with is a scammer trying to get you to buy a card and give them the access code to use the $50. Do you see the payment they sent into your account? Or are you just believing the email that was sent? Check if the email notification is even real because it can be faked.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GeminiNette 

Still, it sounds like a scam. PayPal does not require you to buy a gift card for security reasons. It will ask you to add a debit or credit card so you can make payment with but to receive payment, buying a gift card for security is not required and makes no sense at all. Perhaps the person you're dealing with is a scammer trying to get you to buy a card and give them the access code to use the $50. Do you see the payment they sent into your account? Or are you just believing the email that was sent? Check if the email notification is even real because it can be faked.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

QueenRuby92
New Community Member
How do u know if the email is a fake? Cause the person send me money but it’s pending due to the fact I have to get a 60$ google play card for my privacy
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@QueenRuby92 

Because that is NOT how Paypal works but it IS how scammers work.

Paypal do not ask you for Google vouchers / Itunes vouchers or anything else.

Anything to do with privacy is requested IN your paypal account and not via spoof emails.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

juanurizar
New Community Member

I sold an item to a person the item costs $550 

the person made the payment but they got an email saying they needed to add $300

in order to expand my account limit and requires me to buy 3 $100 google play gift cards and to send pay-pal the code on the back of the cards

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@juanurizar 

AGAIN ITS A SCAM.

Paypal do not ask you to send them vouchers / codes /gift cards or anything else to expand an account.

There is no such thing as expanding an account. You lift limits by adding a bank account or card to your paypal account and nothing else.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Higginson

I have the same situation. So what can you do? 🤔

Login to Me Too

Ramischjulia
Contributor
Contributor
It is a scam report the person right away!
Login to Me Too

ambamambula
Contributor
Contributor
Hi!!! Dear, Help to receive the Google card solution please
Login to Me Too

iamginw0lf
New Community Member
Someone from USA chatted me randomly on Instagram and will send me money. Said to download Kik app for a better conversation. So I followed... until he told me to make a Paypal account and promise me to receive money. Afterwards, it was pending because there was a receipt stating that I have to purchase Google gift card (US) for me to receive the money. I have a huge feeling that it is somewhat one mode of a scam. Therefore I never proceed to it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.