Why PayPal refunded from my account without asking my side of the story ?

Yahia700
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

And hope someone can help me regarding this.

So someone contacted me in discord and asked that I help him buy from a website some game currency since he reached the limit.

I accepted and he send me money to my account, I bought the things he requested and received around $35 as a reward for my job. (That was yesterday)

When I returned home from work today, I see a case that was opened and closed and PayPal took money from my account and returned it to his, now I lost around $200

I want to ask why PayPal didn't ask for both point of view, and if I can get my money back, I have proof of our conversation with the name he provided to get him that game currency recorded in a video,

Please anyone can help me on what to do in this case, $200 is almost half of my monthly pay.

Thank you in advance.

Sincere regards.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yahia700 

Well known scam. The 'limit' would be an excuse as I bet there are other ways of purchasing from that website.

Was it a virtual / digital item?

How did he send the funds to your account, was it using the goods/services option?

Which dispute did he open? Was it unauthorised / non receipt or /not as described?

Did he open a paypal dispute or a chargeback via his card issuer? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Yahia700
Contributor
Contributor

Hello  Kernowlass,

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

and responding to your questions,

Yes, it was a virtual item, specifically a game currency.

I still don't know how to check if money is send as goods/services option or friend/family but when I called PayPal in the end, they told me it's because he send it as friend and family that he received the refund without even asking me for anything via chargeback. (Check attached photo)

01.jpg

I offered to give them the video proof of my conversation as well as all related information and that it was not send by mistake, but PayPal didn't accept that.

Honestly, I would say this is a very poor judgment for a big company that is working as a Bank and I think this will be the last time I will even use PayPal, honestly, still can't believe they will take money from an account without even hearing from the related person, at less put it on hold until the case is closed and they get to hear from both side.

If following PayPal logic regarding this case, if I use the same trick and scam people, and so on, there is going to be Chaos, but I live as a honest man and don't like scams, so my best choice is to leave this platform for good since it was a very bad way to deal with this case.

Thank you all and please pay attention so you don't fall for the same trick since PayPal will not help you in any way and you will just lose your money to some scammer who use the loopholes in PayPal so claimed safe and secure to steal money, and don't help anyone you don't know/trust, my reward for it was LOSING MONEY!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yahia700 

You can check if its a friends/family payment if you did not pay any fee when you received the payment.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item or item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.