When they send you garbage

RonFella
Contributor
Contributor

There is a new scam going on. It's happened to me twice now. You order something from a Facebook ad. A few weeks later you get a package full of rags from China, when you complain they tell you to send it back at your expense or accept a partial payment. This is crap and a violation of US law. You are in NO obligation to send anything back at your own expense. Demand you get what you paid for or a full refund. Anything else is fraud.  I expect PayPal to follow US Law 

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

Just found the Sydney Australia Ph number for paypal ph <removed>,  ill be calling Monday fingers crossed its not a fake too

Login to Me Too

RonFella
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal agreed to reimburse me and to pull the vendor's account. I'm very happy with the outcome. 

Login to Me Too

RonFella
Contributor
Contributor

I sent my money to PayPal. No one else. My credit card shows the money went to Paypal. They are, of course responsible.  Their supposed to be vetting sellers, that's part of the fee. Other wise why use them? This is the second time this scam has been pulled on me this year and based on these message boards its very wide spread. They either need to figure out how to better vet their Chinese vendors or just stop using them all together. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RonFella 

Of course they don't vet sellers, that would be impossible !!!

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.
You use them because they keep your bank and card details confidential / process instant payments for you and give you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.

They do NOT provide insurance and do NOT guarantee refunds if you choose a scam seller.

To be honest if you are scammed once by a China website or Social Media ad then one wonders why you bought from them again?

I got scammed once from China, I shoved the tat in the bin, told myself I was daft for being conned and put it down to a learning curve.

I did not blame paypal or my card issuer, I blamed me for not researching properly and my scammer seller and never got scammed again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RonFella
Contributor
Contributor
Lol. How much is PP paying you to post this stuff? I though PP was vetting vendors. If not what am I paying for? My credit cards already give me all the other protections you mentioned. As not buying things from China. I wouldn’t if I knew. You can’t tell until the payment is processed. Until then they use English names.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RonFella 

Then you are wrong again.

As I have already said they do NOT vet sellers that would be impossible for EVERY seller in over 200 countries worldwide !!!!

And you are paying for them to process  your payments safely / keeping your card and bank accounts confidential and giving you 'some buyer and some seller' protection, all of which I thought I had actually mentioned before ?

And why would I need to be paid for me to state the facts?

If you want 100% protection then take out an insurance policy because not even your credit card gives you total  protection as they have their terms and conditions as well. And if you pay with a debit card you have 0 protection.

So you choose your sellers carefully having READ up on buyer protection to see what coverage is offered.

And yes you can tell its a China website quite easily..........

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.