When they send you garbage

RonFella
Contributor
Contributor

There is a new scam going on. It's happened to me twice now. You order something from a Facebook ad. A few weeks later you get a package full of rags from China, when you complain they tell you to send it back at your expense or accept a partial payment. This is crap and a violation of US law. You are in NO obligation to send anything back at your own expense. Demand you get what you paid for or a full refund. Anything else is fraud.  I expect PayPal to follow US Law 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Ricky_Tang
Contributor
Contributor
Here's the solution: You CANNOT send anything back to China as per this: Prohibited items importing into china. items marked "Made in ROC" (Republic of China). The label "Made in Taiwan" is acceptable. https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=CN

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15
Solved

Ricky_Tang
Contributor
Contributor
Here's the solution: You CANNOT send anything back to China as per this: Prohibited items importing into china. items marked "Made in ROC" (Republic of China). The label "Made in Taiwan" is acceptable. https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=CN
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RonFella 

The buyer protection Paypal gives you states you have to return goods for a refund.

If you want to pursue a legal claim against the seller then that is another avenue open to you and you can hire an international lawyer to sue them if you want to but it may cost you a lot more than the item you bought !!!

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RonFella
Contributor
Contributor

That isn't possible during the pandemic and Chinese companies know it and are exploiting it. The question is if Paypal is helping them with this policy?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RonFella 

Why??? Loads of folks have returned items and received refunds, why can't you return the item?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

RonFella
Contributor
Contributor

Because the cost is outrageous but its also illegal. Back in the 1970s a bunch of companies started shipping people stuff they didn't order because they knew people wouldn't pay to ship them back. This scam was quickly nullified with the law saying you were not responsible for sending back or paying for anything you didn't order. The law applies in this case. They sent me stuff i didn't order. I refuse to pay for dealing with it. I want MY order or MY money back as required by law. As for this Paypal User agreement BS, you can't sign your rights away. Paypal does not get to participate in mail fraud no matter what you sign. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RonFella 

But paypal is NOT the law, paypal helps you get a refund as long as you return the item to the seller first. Trackable to prove delivery. They also help with return costs if you have activated the 'return shipping on us' option.

However if you want to pursue LEGAL options then by all means hire an international  lawyer to take on another international lawyer in China to see if you can get a return shipping label, may be a tad more expensive though !!! 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Wolf262
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal closed my dispute in favor of the merchant. I was angry and was in the process of canceling all of my agreements in preparation of closing my account. Another user posted that she had the same problem and after calling Paypal they reversed the decision and refunded her money. I decided to try that and it worked. I was told my money would be refunded to my credit card. I've been using Paypal since 2001 and this was my first dispute (they verified that while I was on the phone), the company I paid has had their account limited (they told me that on the phone) and I had to resort to a phone call to get my money back.  I am unhappy that I had to resort to a phone call and I wonder how many people don't take that extra step.

Login to Me Too

Ricky_Tang
Contributor
Contributor
As mentioned above in the "solution" China does not accept items to be imported into China when they are marked "made in China" so don't waste your money trying to send it back to them. This has been marked as the solution so I don't understand why everyone keeps going back and forth in this subject. Items marked "made in China" are a PROHIBITED import item and will be destroyed or seized at the port of entry into China. https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=CN
Login to Me Too

Please post paypal phone number, im going through this trouble now

Many thanks les pether

Ph <removed>

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.