What to do if scammed

ron1
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered a used item from the website trjcompanylimited.com and on the site on top says 5 ZARIF STORE. Paid with my Chase card via paypal to be safe. The item was texted to me by USPS as delivered but I never got it. Went to the PO and figured out they sent something to a different address but the size and weight is way different so I was scammed. The same used item is actually still on the website.  https://www.periodar.top/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=252&products_id=2589  I own 2 of these already and know what they weight.

Resolution denied it because they say they received shipment tracking from the merchant confirming that the merchandise was delivered. So I submitted again but it says they are opening it for unauthorized activity because I didn't see a selection for scam. I obviously authorized the payment but not for a box of something unknown to be sent somewhere else.

What should I do next? I did contact Chase who said they would refund it but they might take it back if this scam merchant pulls another fast one. Why would paypal side with a scam website when I have been a perfect customer for around 20 years? This is only my 2nd dispute ever. 100% feedback on ebay as a buyer and seller 573 transactions.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ron1 

Well done, delighted you have beaten the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ron1 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ron1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. That tracking site just says it was delivered to my zip code, no address listed so I will need to get where it was delivered directly from the PO. This scam seller is a little slick. I did contact the bank from the credit card and they said they would refund but if this scammer disputes they could pull it back.

I am surprised paypal did not even investigate when I told them this was a scam site and even sent screen shots etc. Anyhow I guess its time to gather documentation and put the gloves on. No way on earth I am letting these scammers get away with this. Just stinks that I don't have paypal on my side at all. I really thought their intent was to protect us in these exact type of situations. Live and learn.

EDIT: I also found if I go back to the scammers website and log in it just shows the item I thought I was purchasing in the cart. You can't even look up your actual purchase or anything. Total scam. This should not have been so easy for the scammer. There is a major problem with the system.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ron1 

Did you actually read my post?

First I said ring customer services as sometimes when they know its one of these scam sites you get a refund without having the hassle of getting information re tracking.

Secondly I put in big capital letters that you do not have to find the address the item was sent to (the courier won't give you that), you only need information that it was not delivered to your address.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ron1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I read it. I am just preparing for the worst. Of course if they refund when I call I won't need to go to the PO. As far as the link I was just letting you know I tried it and in my case it wouldn't have helped because they only give the zip code. They really should give the entire address to help cut down on these scams.

Login to Me Too

ron1
Contributor
Contributor

Well there was an interesting turn of events in my favor. Just got a series of emails from Paypal saying they decided to re-open and investigate the case. Last email says they are issuing a refund. Not sure why the automated system kept closing the case in the scammers favor but it seems they must have finally read my notes and looked into it. That is a relief and I didn't even have to call them. I was going to do that today since it is a weekday and if it didn't solve it I would of had to go to the PO for documentation.

BTW I did report the scam website to the FTC. Takeaway is be really careful who you order from online. If it seems too good to be true, it is.  Now I have to call Chase bank and let them know because they were supposed to refund it as well and I don't want there to be any conflict.

Login to Me Too

ron1
Contributor
Contributor

Well more news. Now I got ANOTHER email from Paypal saying they can't complete the investigation because I disputed it with my credit card. Which is fine because my credit card already refunded it. Maybe Paypal should not be automatically favoring on the side of scammers and closing resolution cases before they look into it? Just saying.

On a side note while investigating the website on my own it appears it they might be originating from Nigeria and posing as China. Either way I can't find any other complaints of scams from this website which is why I ordered from them. But I hope the FTC will look into it and take them down. Otherwise they will be ripping off people not as persistent as me.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ron1 

Well done, delighted you have beaten the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ron1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the voluntary advice. I learned something. Honestly just a few small changes in the system could prevent this. It really seems too easy for scammers to do this and it really needn't be. I imagine if the scammers get away with one out of a hundred times they attempt this they are doing pretty good. I had no idea how common this was until it happened to me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.