What happens if buyer doesn’t respond to dispute they started

Timbjoni
Contributor
Contributor
What happens when a buyer doesn’t respond to a dispute they made? Would I win?
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Timbjoni 

Depends on the dispute type and if the dispute is escalated to a claim. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Timbjoni
Contributor
Contributor

Standard dispute, my friend sent me and some others money but his bank initiated a chargeback and he is having problems with them.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Timbjoni 

A chargeback is not a paypal dispute, its a dispute done via a bank or card issuer, they make all the decisions and all paypal can do is pass on any information on your behalf.

You would need to review seller protection to see if you were covered or not.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Timbjoni
Contributor
Contributor

I know but he used friends and family to send the money, do you think I could try and win the case by giving proof that the “buyer” did not start the chargeback and that he wants the case to close because his account is banned and he cannot close the case on PayPal?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Timbjoni 

I wouldn't push it, as its against paypal rules to accept payments via the friends/family option to evade paying your paypal fee then you may well end up with a permanent ban as well unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Timbjoni
Contributor
Contributor

Why would I get banned if I didn’t buy or sell anything and all I did was receive money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Timbjoni 

Well you keep saying it's a ''buyer'' so if paypal think you are accepting f/f payments for selling goods or services then they may ban you.

Also ''friends'' don't tend to do chargebacks only buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Timbjoni
Contributor
Contributor

I’m not too worried about a ban more of the fact that I have a large negative balance and don’t know how to get rid of it, I responded to the case hoping it will turn out well so I’ll wait for that, but the friend said neither he or his bank started the chargeback as PayPal keeps saying so is there anything I should say to win the dispute.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.