What happens if a buyer doesn't respond to a claim?

CM2306
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, someone has opened a claim on a product I sold and had delivered to them 5 weeks ago claiming that the items was damaged straight out of the box. I've responded to the claim disagreeing with the statement they have made as I have photo evidence that the item was sent in perfect condition. I suspect they are short of money or something and we're hoping to catch me off guard with a claim or just straight up scam me. I was wondering what happens if they now don't respond back to the claim after the time limit, I am currently in a negative balance, will the claim automatically side with him and I lose my money and the item?

Thanks 🙂

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CM2306 

Then the buyer does not have to respond BUT if they (or you) do not escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the buyer opening the dispute then it would auto-close and the funds would stay with you, the buyer would not be able to open a second dispute for the same transaction.

If I were you do not escalate and hope the buyer forgets !!! 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CM2306 

A dispute is between you and the buyer to sort out anything you can do resolve any issues, once the buyer has escalated to a claim then they don't have to provide any more information unless paypal requests it as paypal then make any decisions.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CM2306
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the information. I have responded to the buyer, and they have until the 24th of September to respond back to me. If they do not respond to me before then, does the case just get closed? Who's favour would the case go in if the buyer does not respond to me? Thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CM2306 

Depends if its in the dispute stage or has been escalated to a claim as per my previous post? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CM2306
Contributor
Contributor

Ah yes sorry, it is still a dispute. Neither me or them have escalated the claim.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CM2306 

Then the buyer does not have to respond BUT if they (or you) do not escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the buyer opening the dispute then it would auto-close and the funds would stay with you, the buyer would not be able to open a second dispute for the same transaction.

If I were you do not escalate and hope the buyer forgets !!! 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CM2306
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh i see, this is the answer I was hoping for, as long as I don't lose my item AND my money i'll stay quiet about it and hope he forgets. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.