Using PayPal on Facebook Marketplace via Payment Request

SalSS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am looking to make a purchase on FB marketplace from an individual seller. I linked my PayPal to my FB account. He requested payment through the Messenger on FB Marketplace and I had the option to use PayPal to purchase. My question is, Is this automatically considered a Goods and Services transaction and thus includes Buyer protection or is it possible for them to request a Friends and Family payment. It doesnt say which request it was. 

Thank you,

Sal

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

Nerdgirl98
Contributor
Contributor
I bought a washer and dryer on Facebook Marketplace and used Paypal for payment. When I did not receive my purchase I tried to file a complaint but PayPal says to complain to Facebook marketplace. I cannot find a contact number at Facebook marketplace to complain to. So I lost $750 and PayPal offers zero protection for the Facebook Marketplace scam.
Login to Me Too

Rhon1
Your right.... I can’t get my money back.... but I hold PayPal responsible because they don’t state no refunds if I use that system
Login to Me Too

Nerdgirl98
Contributor
Contributor
I agree that we should be told upfront if PayPal isn't going to offer protection for Facebook Marketplace purchases or any other types of purchased. Scammers use this flaw to their advantage because they can take money without delivering products and the customer has no way to complain or seek resolution.
Login to Me Too

Rhon1

Well, I did respond to a message on FB messenger for a payment (down payment of $300)... I clicked it and it went out of my PayPal linked bank account instantly. Well, I never got the work done, and now PayPal won’t give me my money back.... because it was FB..... I am disabled, on SS and NEED my money back. If I don’t get it, then Facebook can forget me paying my PayPal credit.... so **bleep** this method, no protection

Login to Me Too

jeromecovington
Contributor
Contributor
The answer is yes and NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT! The only way your Marketplace purchase will be insured by Facebook or PayPal is when whatever you bought is mailed/shipped to you. Unfortunately that isn't what Marketplace is about! The Marketplace platform is built around local purchases where you meet and pick up what you bought! It's misleading that Facebook states they offer buyer protection on their Marketplace site when it only covers items that were shipped when their Marketplace is built around local purchases that one picks up! PLEASE KNOW THAT NEITHER PAYPAL OR FACEBOOK OFFERS ANY TYPE OR KIND OF PROTECTION ON MARKETPLACE PURCHASES THAT ARE PICKED UP, IT HAS TO BE MAILED/SHIPPED TO THE BUYER!!! If you have any doubt about what I've stated above please read both PayPal and Facebook Rules on what type of purchases are excluded. Please note I love using PayPal, it is truly an awesome service and I will continue using it. I am in no way knocking PayPal, I have used it a lot and will continue to use their services. I just think that this should be pointed out because at first glance one would think their purchases are protected, that is unless they dig deeper. For most folks that typically doesn't happen unless or until you get royally **bleep**,,, like I did.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.