Unauthorized transactions, Thieves, Can't close account.

SchnielZ
Contributor
Contributor

So today i was greeted with no less than 3 unauthorized transactions to my account all from the same shop I've never heard of before. I immediately reported them at 13.03.2023 07:45. At 13.03.2023 08:49 my case was updated and Paypal concluded they had "determined there was no unauthorized use". 

On 02.04.2022 19:24 the exact same thing happened just a different store. The exact same thing but instead of Paypal had "determined there was no unauthorized use" you instead on 02.04.2022 23:24 "determined the payment(s) in question were unauthorized" and helped me get my money back.

It's obvious the thiefs manage to spoof me somehow with these small, unknown shops selling questionable products and get them to actually send transactions to my Paypal account. I'm very curious to learn how they do this and how they manage to fool Paypal into believing it's actually the customer making these transactions. 

Anyways as Paypal can be deemed not safe to use I've come to the realization that i cannot use Paypals services anymore. It was very convenient but I cannot afford to be robbed like this and will need to find alternative way to deal with my transactions. I cannot close my account though, All i get is "You need to resolve open cases  on your account. If you think you got this message by accident or have any questions, just let us know.". I click the link and all the cases has been resolved. I find it hard to communicate with the endless maze the resolution center offers so I guess I'll have a go at this forum to see if it can remedy my problems.

Might as well give a warning to other customers as well. Paypals system is not fool proof and can be tricked. I hope you have a better experience then I did but remember that if a scammer, thief, non trustworthy element of the human race is determined to steal from your account there are ways to do so.

Sincerely, the person behind the pseudonym of SchnielZ.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SchnielZ 

See if customer services will close it for you.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SchnielZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

1. It is an option I do actively try to avoid it though since i prefer to communicate through written and non-direct form though since i feel it is easier to give a well thought through answer since you actually have time to look things up and think things through before answering. 

2. I did try. Timed out after a number of minutes. I would rather use email or any other form of asynchronous communication method instead.

3. I'm trying my hardest to do so but i never was introduced to a contact form. Only when i was opted to choose what transactions I wanted to flag as criminal was I able to write some sort of message. I choose to write short and direct since I thought I'd have to give them more answers if the need arised but instead they just closed it and gave me the finger basically.

4. I do not use twitter and I rarely use Facebook. I might try but it feels incredibly non professional to have to resort to a third party platform just to resolve issues. I do appreciate the tip though so thank you.

Login to Me Too

SchnielZ
Contributor
Contributor

I went to the localized facebook page of Paypal just as you said and...  I must say it was an eye opener for sure. 1400 comments where the vast majority was talking about how hopeless it is to get in touch with support for various issues but i could see numerous people with the same problem as I have. Of course it's hard to validate the various claims being thrown at Paypal but imagining a crowd of 1400 people grouping up at Paypals door screaming bloody murder (and that's just the ones voicing their opinion. How many more are out there pulling their hair trying to get in contact with support).

85 EUR was a somewhat expensive bill for the knowledge of Paypals obvious problems but I'm also happy it stayed at this amount. My situation could have been so much worse.

Login to Me Too

Wierenga
Contributor
Contributor

Billed my PayPal account 399.00 for protection for my computer.  Did not order this.  Reported this to  at your paypal staff Quirby.  She requested me to report this to you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wierenga 

Check if you had a subscription set up and if so cancel it.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Then contact the merchant and see if they will issue you a refund, by the way this is not customer services, its a 'user to user' advice forum

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.