Unauthorized repeating payment to "Facebook ads"

Maxdowt
New Community Member

An automated payment I did not authorize or confirm went through my PayPal account to "Facebook," specifically their ads. I am the only user of my PayPal account and after checking, it doesn't look like there was a way for me to misclick on anything to receive a charge in this amount (the charge was $4 and the cost for promoting a page is $6, nothing charges the amount I was charged). The description of the service provided is something like being able to make payments through Facebook without logging in to PayPal and to receive PayPal updates through messenger. When I try to fix the issue through Facebook with the link provided to report a problem, I have gotten an error message every time. My dispute turned back negative as PayPal has deemed it an "authorized" payment despite no authorization for a repeating payment from me. I don't do repeat payments through paypal and would not authorize this action. This sounds like a scam of some sort. It would have activated a repeating payment on my account if I hadn't been alerted and cancelled it. If someone did actually use Facebook or a promotion service through them, something like this could go by unnoticed. I have turned off the automated payment and reset my passwords. Is there anyone with insight on what happened or how it happened, or who knows how I can further contact PayPal or facebook for more information to dispute further?

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

Cheyni
Contributor
Contributor
This is happening to me also. I'm getting no replies from Facebook and PayPal is refusing to refund. Luckily my bank had flagged a payment last night and froze my card so I'm hoping they can help refund me. Has anyone had any luck getting a refund?
Login to Me Too

Missliteracy
Contributor
Contributor
Hi there, yes I was able to get a refund. I contacted both Facebook and PayPal on March 21 regarding the $30 CAD taken from my account for “Facebook Ads”. On March 27 PayPal deposited the $30 back to my account. Facebook never replied. I never received an explanation though, so still in the dark about the situation. Just glad I got my money back. Hope contacting PayPal works for you.
Login to Me Too

Cheyni
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your reply. My bank have given me a link to issue a claim back so hopefully I will get it back, and PayPal has closed any further transaction to Facebook from my account. Glad to hear you were refunded
Login to Me Too

Deadmons
New Community Member
I also have been charged by Facebook to my PayPal without my approval. I have no cards or ads approved. I've taken the matter up with my bank as PayPal and Facebook will not address issue.
Login to Me Too

I had this problem as well. After doing research, I realized that if you advertise on Instagram as I did for my business page, it will show up as a Facebook charge on your PayPal account because Instagram is owned by Facebook. So, please be sure to rethink if you may have recently advertised something or promoted something on Instagram. Like I said, it will show up as a Facebook charge on your PayPal account when you do so.
Login to Me Too

rlind22
Contributor
Contributor

Having the exact same issue - Facebook hit my Paypal account for $250 for "Facebook Ads" - No further explanation or specifics, and I have not run any ads with Facebook in over 3 years. Paypal has so far been of no help, and trying to reach someone at Facebook appears to be impossible. Facebook locked my account just before this happened due to suspicious activity, so I can't even log into their system. Next option is to go old school and send a certified letter to Zuckerberg. I know he won't see it, but maybe someone inside Facebook will.

Login to Me Too

rlind22
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: I sent a registered letter to the facebook ad sales department 2 weeks ago, so far no response. If nothing after 30 days, I'll turn it over the the state Attorney General's office. As for PayPal... no help at all - Just a boiler plate response about needing some additional documents... but never saying specifically what was needed. In any case, there are no documents... This was just a random, totally out of the blue hit to my PP account. I have no agreements with facebook and am no longer a facebook user.

Login to Me Too

judypupek
Contributor
Contributor
Joseph Z Ministries used my PayPal to access a $99.99/month “donation” which I did NOT authorize. I canceled the credit card that was attached to my PayPal account and blocked his Facebook site. Is there anything else I need to do?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @judypupek and everyone, 

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you're running into some unauthorized activity on your account. If you see the activity on your PayPal account, I would recommend trying to open an Unauthorized Dispute through our Resolution Center. If you do not see the activity on your account, I'd recommend reporting the activity directly through your funding source.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

AR731
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately your information is irrelevant as many of us have opens disputes only for them to be shut down as authorised when they are actual done fraudulently through Facebook
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.