Unauthorized Uber Payment?

nerris121
Contributor
Contributor

I got an e-mail saying I sent a payment to Uber. It's just a small $5 charge but I 100% didn't user Uber this week, nor any family members. Is this worrisome?

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

ny10016
Contributor
Contributor

CONTACT UBER!!
After I was incorrectly charged, I contacted Uber, sent them all the info I had from Paypal and the same day they issued a refund to my Paypal account! I looove them.

Login to Me Too

KJ1974
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me.

3 charges totaling $294.18!

2 of the transactions were right after another, while the first one is roughly 1 hour before the other 2.

I may have downloaded the app maybe 3-4 yrs ago on my other phone - but deleted it.  And ..it's not on my current phone.

Have never  taken an uber ride.  but may have entered my paypal info to sign up?   i dont remember.

but since then i've changed my paypal CC..

I Don't know how i could've been charged,.

i disputed the charges on paypal, and marked them as unauthorized.

idk, do i need to try to contact uber? even though i never used them?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi KJ1974, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

I am sorry to hear that your PayPal account has been compromised. Please check to see if a Billing Agreement has been created with Uber as this would authorize them to deduct payments from your PayPal account. More information on cancelling a Billing Agreement can be found here - https://bit.ly/2FGgB6r. 

Please ensure you have changed the password and security questions on your PayPal account. As you have reported the transactions to PayPal you will receive an email update once the transactions have been reviewed. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

KJ1974
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the response Siobhan.

as soon as i found out about this, i checked my "automatic payment" settings and to my surprise, Uber was there so i cancelled that.

After reading your comment, i went back to doublecheck and it's still "inactive"

However, i discovered that "automatic payment" to uber was created and activated on the DAY the unauthorized charge was put in.

I just assumed the Uber app that i downloaded 4 yrs ago set that up when creating my uber account. But that's not the case at all. THEY CREATED/ACTIVATED THIS THE DAY the unauthorized charge was made!!!

I contacted uber and confirmed to them that i had no one sharing my uber app, told them i never used uber, and that i only downloaded the app just to see what the hype was all about. - they were reasonable and i did get credited by paypal on the charges,

BUT this is scary.

they can take money from my paypal w/o my consent. even if you didn't set up an "automatic payment" they make it for you and then take the money.

i requested that they purge all of my data from their servers since there seems to be a clear security risk in downloading that app. but they just assured me this wont happen again. i doubt they'd erase any of my data and i have to constantly check my emails to see if there's any irregular paypal activity, urg

ps. that link that u linked doesnt work and is said to be "not permitted in this community" and paypal forum prevented me from posting with quoting that link.....

Login to Me Too

irwebb
Here's something really scary. Your PayPal account wasn't hacked. The way you make a PayPal payment on the Uber app does NOT require an actual authentication. You only need the email address or phone number attached to the PayPal account according to Uber. https://help.uber.com/riders/article/paying-with-paypal--?nodeId=d60304d0-de13-4299-8a66-fe52bb350fd... This being allowed is crazy!
Login to Me Too

Cl4r3
New Community Member
I know this won’t apply to everyone’s issue here but I was having the same problem and it turns out it was Uber Eats, is ordered a takeaway but it shows on PayPal the same way a trip would.
Login to Me Too

Premlatacgp
New Community Member
I tried contacting Uber but they’re refusing to refund me... what did you say to them to get them to refund the unauthorized charges?
Login to Me Too

Padarber
I also had this problem - I thought a fake Uber account has taken almost 60 pounds from my PayPal account in the past six months in small amounts. But I think for me it was the same issue as a previous poster - an ubereats account that appeared to be Uber.
Login to Me Too

Naejay1
New Community Member
I recently recieved an email notification that my Uber account was accessed in several different countries including China, Mexico and Vietnam and my bank account was charged almost $300 usd in Uber eats and rides in California. I live on the East coast, nowhere near California so it definitely could not be me making these charges. The Uber Eats receipts were also sent to my email confirming the food order, price and delivery address. I tried to contact Uber to let them know that I didn't make these transactions, it wasn't possible, and that my account was hacked. Uber has not responded to my emails. I put in a dispute with PayPal, alerting them that these charges were fraudulent because my Uber account was hacked. PayPal denied my disputes because they said "Uber was authorized to use my PayPal account". Ok, I get that, but these charges were fraudulently made through Uber. How can I get PayPal to understandand that this was fraud and that Uber is ignoring me? I just want the money back that was stolen from me. I have deactivated Uber's access to my PayPal in hopes that this doesn't happen again. By the way, the hackers locked me out of my own Uber account so I can't get in to delete that account or even change the password. According to Google, this is an ongoing problem with Uber. It's not a safe app and the company couldn't care less.
Login to Me Too

Jacquelinepic81
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing just happened to me on June 24, 2020 for 46.87 usd from Uber eats. I don’t even have an account with them. I disputed it with PayPal and it was rejected claiming something about an agreement that I never made or authorized that they claim was made. I live in Ontario why would I be ordering food in the states. Pay pals customer service is horrible. I can’t get anyone on the phone at all and on the chats I’m only getting someone from India or something. That can’t even help me. They won’t allow me to remove my banking information or close my account. Seems to be an ongoing issue with them someone should really look into this fraud.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.