Unauthorised Automatic Payment from an unknown company

Alibags
Contributor
Contributor

I have been charged £0.99 and £69.99 from an automatic payment I didn’t even know about. It’s from a company called Mobapps and when I looked at the apps available I have definitely not downloaded any of them. I’m also very careful about cancelling trial offers etc. I opened a dispute with PayPal but they answered very quickly that this is not an unauthorised payment. I have cancelled the automatic payment and I have emailed the company Mobapps Ltd asking for this money back but have not received a reply. What else can I do? This is a lot of money for no apparent product or service!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @51226014,

Welcome to the PayPal Community and thank you for your post!

I do understand your concern with this. Based on what you have explained, it sounds like this payment was part of an automatic payment. When you make a payment with some merchants, they will sign you up for an automatic payment. This means they can charge you for their services without you having to enter your details each time. 

I would suggest you follow the steps here to cancel any automatic payments you don't regularly use. Once you have done this, it would mean they can no longer charge you for their services.

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

Alibags
Contributor
Contributor

Miracle of miracles - EBay have just messaged me that they have decided in my favour and are refunding the £69.99. No idea why they originally decided it was an authorized payment and then changed their minds. 

Login to Me Too

hippy_ade
Contributor
Contributor

My wife also had this - same amount taken without consent MobApps seem to be some scammers I guess 😞

How did you work out it was ebay?

Login to Me Too

Alibags
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I meant to say PayPal not Ebay. It seems PayPal eventually worked out it was some kind of scam.

Login to Me Too

hippy_ade
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update, we finally worked it out also. A company offering a 0.99 "trial subscription" - and then upgrading to a full sub a few days later !

Login to Me Too

Tsvete
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I also receive an email from paypal for charging me 59.99$ for this scammer Mobapps. 

So I open a dispute like you and receive same answer from Paypal - can't help me.

But you said that they send your money back in the end. 

Can you tell me do you made something else after receiving their answer? 

I want my money back.

Login to Me Too

hippy_ade
Contributor
Contributor

So first there was a 0.99c charge, then some days later the bigger charge. 

There was a new subscription in PayPal - so you should cancel that subscription right away. The we tried to think of what it could have been and we remembered paying .99c for a demo of something, we didnt know we were being signed up for a subscription. So we wrote to the company (who seem to use a service provided by mobapps) and told them that we didnt want this subscription and they send up a refund

You could theoretically email mobapps and give them the reference number but we didnt get any response from them 

Login to Me Too

Amandajw4
Contributor
Contributor
I've had the exact same thing happened to me too. I definitely did not sign up for it and I have emailed them several times with no replies.
Login to Me Too

hippy_ade
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have the same pattern ? First .99c then a larger amount ?

First thing you should do is to go to your subscriptions and remove any subscriptions you dont recognise.

Then think back to any "only .99c" offers you did. 

Login to Me Too

Amandajw4
Contributor
Contributor
Yes exactly same pattern .99c and 4 days later $69.99US I Cancelled any further automatic payments through PayPal and I also got in contact with PayPal today and they're disputing it for me. If they don't hear back from them in 10 days they will refund my money. Thanks to this page for the information. I was so frustrated to find this it happened but thankful you guys had the answers
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.