There's an authorisation on my account for a pay in 3 i didnt set up.

Archmike
Contributor
Contributor
There's an authorisation on my account for a pay in 3 i didnt set up. I have no idea what it is. It's for a lot of money and I'm **bleep** unless i can cancel or get rid of it someway. How do i stop it?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Meghan

Hi @Archmike

Thanks for responding with more information.

I understand that the transaction isn't showing any additional details other than Pay in 3. I apologize for the confusion. Pay in 3 is a program that splits your purchase into installments. When Pay in 3 is used for a purchase, that particular purchase can show as two different transactions at first. The first transaction will be where we send the full amount to the merchant. That's the one that should show their name. The second transaction you see should be the Pay in 3 installment. If there's only one transaction showing, that leads me to believe there may have been an error when the payment was sent. If that's the case, it should void within the 24-72 hour timeframe I mentioned earlier.

I recommend reaching out to our Customer Support to sort out what happened and determine the transaction's current status. You can contact Support by clicking 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal page. Support is also available if you send a DM to @AskPayPal on Twitter or a PM to facebook.com/PayPal. While stopping the transaction with your bank is certainly an option, I do not recommend this route unless it's a last resort. If the payment has already been sent in full to the merchant, it's best to file a dispute with PayPal first. If you file with your bank first when we've already sent the payment, it could cause a negative balance in your PayPal account until we can sort out what happened. 

Best wishes! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Archmike

Thanks for joining the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry to hear about the pending Pay in 3 authorization on your PayPal account. I know how scary an unrecognized transaction can be. A Pay in 3 transaction will void automatically within 24-72 hours if the transaction doesn't complete. You can determine who the merchant's identity by reviewing the transaction on your PayPal Activity page. They may be able to cancel and void the transaction earlier. In the meantime, I recommend checking with family and friends to see if they may have made the purchase. If they haven't, and the payment completes, you can file an unauthorized dispute by following the steps on our Help Center here: How do I report an unauthorized transaction or account activity? You can also find instructions for resetting your password and activating 2-Step Verification

I hope this information helps!

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Archmike
Contributor
Contributor

All it says is "Seller information: Pay in 3"  which doesn't tell me much.

If i call my bank and stop it will that work? According to my banking app it's a "quasi cash payment" whatever that is...

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Meghan

Hi @Archmike

Thanks for responding with more information.

I understand that the transaction isn't showing any additional details other than Pay in 3. I apologize for the confusion. Pay in 3 is a program that splits your purchase into installments. When Pay in 3 is used for a purchase, that particular purchase can show as two different transactions at first. The first transaction will be where we send the full amount to the merchant. That's the one that should show their name. The second transaction you see should be the Pay in 3 installment. If there's only one transaction showing, that leads me to believe there may have been an error when the payment was sent. If that's the case, it should void within the 24-72 hour timeframe I mentioned earlier.

I recommend reaching out to our Customer Support to sort out what happened and determine the transaction's current status. You can contact Support by clicking 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal page. Support is also available if you send a DM to @AskPayPal on Twitter or a PM to facebook.com/PayPal. While stopping the transaction with your bank is certainly an option, I do not recommend this route unless it's a last resort. If the payment has already been sent in full to the merchant, it's best to file a dispute with PayPal first. If you file with your bank first when we've already sent the payment, it could cause a negative balance in your PayPal account until we can sort out what happened. 

Best wishes! 

- Meghan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.