Suspicious email?

pjm761
Contributor
Contributor

Hi PayPal Community

Sold an item on Gumtree. Received an email "PayPal Bank wire transfer payment received from Jessica [removed]" from You've Got Funds.

You've Got Funds has address that does not contain the word Paypal, That seems a bit suspect.

This email has a transaction reference number: Transaction ID: U-62D872347N1271354. It goes on to tell me I have been sent funds  but I must buy a $200 ebay gift card and send it's pin for the pickup agents in reply before funds will be released into my account.

I think this is a lot suspect and looks like a scam.

Am I right? All payments to my account show up in my account summary correct? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pjm761 

You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade/or any other reason to 'accept' a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pjm761 

You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade/or any other reason to 'accept' a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bcarroll89
New Community Member

Hi there I received an email from [removed] Just want to know if this legit as a customer is purchasing a product and the email requests me to reply to it and follow instructions about sending delivery and tax costs for the transport company. I’m new to this and want to check if this a scam as I don’t understand what the difference would be sending money straight to me PayPal account (I’ve had no notifications on my PayPal account about receiving transactions) hope you can help

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.